Feeling a pull for Facebook

I quit FB three years ago, but go back once a year for a week to “visit” people like I would if I went back to the town I’m from to visit people that still live there. I call it a “Facation.” It may not work for this urge you have to share on the regular, but it does work for reconnecting and not losing touch with folks.

I personally find the week after Christmas to be perfect for this, as you may recall, being on FB can really take a lot of time and that’s a down period for most other obligations.

1 Like

Wao this is really awesome… but for now, I need to keep out, but is something I can consider on the future.

Micro.blog is a great service - I host my personal blog there. But it’s not a substitute for Facebook – or, more precisely, for the friends and family you can connect with on Facebook.

Indefinitely? I thought Facebook would delete the account if you didn’t check in after a month?

I did it in June 2019 for an extended vacation - real-life travel to areas without Internet. I may be misremembering the specifics of how to disable Facebook, and they may have changed things since then.

How do you keep the account active for those other 51 weeks?

Indefinitely, yes - unless I’m mistaken. It you delete the account, just like Twitter, you have a month to change your mind. But deactivation on Facebook just puts your account on ice, so to speak - it’s delisted, and logging back automatically reactivates it, but otherwise, it’s as good as gone, at least on the user’s side. (Of course, they still have your data.)

2 Likes

That suggests an answer to your own question – get in the habit of calling or messaging the people you want to stay close to.

2 Likes

No, it’s possible to suspend one’s account indefinitely. I put my account in deactivated status in September 2019, and logged in for the first time since in October 2020 and deleted the account permanently. In all that time, I (at my surprise) never received any Facebook communication that attempted to draw me back in.

2 Likes

Good to know.

Every time this topic comes up here, I’m drawn to significantly reduce my social media activity.

1 Like