Still having problems. Here is a synopsis (updated and more extensive than my original post). Will contact eero and ISP support again tomorrow. Anyone see anything here that I could try or that I could ask of the support people. This has been a very frustrating experience. Any help is appreciated.
Fiber to my house is provided by my local utility company and I have the 1 Gbps plan.
ONT - Calix GigaPoint 803G
ISP Router - Calix GigaSpire GS4220E
My Router - eero pro 6
All of the above have up-to-date firmware.
I want to have a home mesh network using eeros. The gateway eero will be directly connected to the ONT. I want to use eero secure.
ONT connected to eero by a cat-6 ethernet cable. Nothing is connected to the Eero’s second ethernet port. The ONT was powered off for 5 minutes, then restarted. Once all of the appropriate green lights on the ONT were lit, I plugged in the eero. The eero had been factory reset before doing this. I created a new wifi network on the eero. The only devices on the wifi network were an iPhone, Mac mini, and an Apple TV.
Speeds as measured by the eero app (which is the speed that the eero receives from the ONT) is in the 950/950 (D/U) range for the first 10 minutes. Then it decreases to ~600-800 down/35-50 up). The speeds never return to the starting values. This problem has been reproduced countless times over the past week.
What I know works (solid network - speeds in the 950/950 range - no speed decreases )
A network using the ISP’s router connected to the ONT. Speed measured by my Mac mini via ethernet.
A network using the ISP’s router connected to eero (with the eero in bridge mode) to the ONT. Speed measured by the eero app as well as by my Mac mini via ethernet.
What I have done
- Powered cycled ONT and eero (numerous times).
- Restarted eero network via eero app (numerous times)
- Changed the ethernet cable connecting the ONT to the eero. (numerous times)
- Direct connected my Mac to the ONT via ethernet. Speeds were 950/950 and never decreased.
- Toggled IPV6 on and off
- Tried different DNS (Google 188.8.131.52)
- Checked speeds at 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc up to 13 hours after restarting network. Speeds were always fine up to the 10 minute mark then decreased.
- Alternated contacting ISP support and eero support
- ISP had a crew come to my house and evaluate the line. They did notice a kink and replaced a large section of the fiberoptic cable both in my house and at the outside box. (The ONT is located inside). The said the GPON was -19db (which they said was good).
- The ISP said they did not do anything to prevent anyone from using whichever router they wanted. There was no setting that they would have to set to allow you to do so.
- Eero support was on the phone with me while I restarted the network and measured speeds. They were fine until the 10 minute mark, then decreased. We did this twice.
- Eero support had me send them a photo of where my network devices are located. The networking gear is out in the open on the top shelf of a bookcase in an air-conditioned room. They said that was fine.
- Eero support has escalated up one level. Agreed to check back with then once I did the things listed in the next section.
- At this point we are at the inevitable point of eero thinks it’s the ISP’s fault; the ISP thinks it eero’s fault
These are the things I have done since I last spoke with the ISP/eero support
- Left the network on for > 12 hours to see if something magical happened between 4-12 hours (new DHCP lease or whatever)
- I bought, for testing purposes (and plan to return), a TP-Link AX1800 4-stream dual-band Wi-Fi 6 Router. I connected this directly to the ONT and created a new network. This worked fine with speeds 950/950 that did not decrease after 10 minutes. So the ISP does allow non-ISP routers w/o any configuration on the ISP’s part.