Fiberoptic install questions

Our local coop electric utility DMEA is running fiber optic to all the meters. It’s part of their wholly owned subsidiary Elevate Internet.

First they ran the fiber to the service entrance to the house. From the pole where the transformer is underground to the electric box on the side of the house. Then we wanted to set up the router etc in the utility room where we can put in a UPS system. That’s on the other side of the garage for us. SO they cleanly and neatly installed the cable outside under the eaves and drilled one small hole into the garage utility room. Ours is fiber all the way from the router, wherever it is located to the network operations center, wherever that is.

BTW you’ll love it!

Yeah, symmetrical gigabit download/upload speeds thanks to fiber optic internet/gigabit ethernet is just… :drooling_face:

1 Like

I had concerns related to my own situation as noted in the posts above. Everything worked out fine for me. I don’t think you need to be hesitant. Just do your homework before the installation and figure out the best room for them to drop your fiber.

Yes… It’s working good for us. I’m so glad the local power associations are starting to provide internet services. This should help to get internet service to those areas with no or slow internet.

Okay, thank you! :slight_smile:

If only all of them were doing it…

Every American should have access to fiber-optic internet.

1 Like

And not just one option, there should be competition by multiple providers!
This will keep services up and prices down.

1 Like

Yeah, I never understood why Google stopped expanding their fiber network. It caused a recession in the fiber optic network industry.

Maybe monopolistic cable companies like Comcast are to blame for essentially bullying Google and forcing them to stop expanding their stellar fiber optic network.

Here is a true story about the consequence of not having competition:

One of my clients is in a small office building (10 units or so) on a Main Street in Menlo Park, CA. The fiber is already in the building for an other business.
At&T wants $2300 per month for a 100/100 Mbps connection plus a 3 year contract.

An other client of mine is in Foster City in a large office tower with many offices. In the basement is a patch room where the wiring to each unit is centralized. The building owner offers all ISP’s to provide their services.

Guess what the same At&T 100/100 Mbps connection is only $110 month no long term contract required.

That’s a ridiculous price! AT&T should be ashamed!

Even then, that still seems a bit expensive.

Does Verizon Fios do the same thing as AT&T? Online, the price for gigabit Verizon Fios (with no contract or setup charges or early termination fees) seems much cheaper than AT&T.

As you can see from my first hand experience(s) is that pricing is whatever the fool is willing to pay for it…

Even from the same ISP most customers pay something different then their neighbors …

Wowzers… :pensive:

Not defending AT&T or asserting that network transit providers behave in any way that could be reasonably considered ethical, but guaranteed rate Internet transit is much, much more expensive than “up to xMbps” service (or it was the last time I was involved in a network transit procurement project). I’m not sure if it’s the case here, but $2300 for 100/100Mbps isn’t insane.

In this case the connection contract is the same. No data quota’s or other requirements. Just a modem with 100Mbps symmetric connection.

It’s insane I know.

I encourage any owner of an office or condo building to create an ISP patch panel where all the units come together and all ISP’s are welcome to offer their services. No “deals” where a ISP will get exclusive rights for in exchange for running some wiring trough the building…

Maybe in another universe…

The U-verse? :sweat_smile:

1 Like