Figure out errant trackpad clicks?

After 10 years using the Magic Mouse (preceded by 30 years of using a Mouse in my pre-Mac days), a few months ago I just decided to switch to the trackpad on my Macbook Pro. I basically love it, and wonder why I have waited so long, with one little nitpick.

ERRANT TRACKPAD CLICKS WHEN I AM TYPING, that move the cursor to a different spot (and I type several characters or words in fact before I sometimes notice it- argh!! It just happened while typing this sentence!!)

I have turned off “touch to click” as a possible culprit (although I really liked that setting). I ASSUME my palm or some part of my hand MUST be regularly brushing the trackpad with just enough force to register a click. I am trying to learn better hand posture (hovering instead of resting – so yes, I know to try to do that). But still – lately every time it happens I would SWEAR I haven’t touched it errantly.

Any advice? Is there any kind of trackpad click register application or something, that can help me trouble shoot it? (i.e., am I doing it with my left hand, right hand, top area, down lower, etc???)

I assume from the way you’ve described this, that you’re working on a MacBook. Is this correct?

It definitely shouldn’t do that. As an experiment turn off Secondary click in addition to Tap to click that you have turned off. Look at the Click settings is it on Light or Firm?

yes sir, indeed. MacBook Pro 16 (M1 Pro)

I had it on light (next best thing to tap). Right after I posted, I turned it to the medium setting actually. It does seem to be helping (which makes sense). My muscle memory right now doesn’t like the requirement of the firmer click, but perhaps that’s a good tradeoff it if means no more haywire cursor jumps.

Hadn’t thought about the secondary click settings… Will give that a look as well.

I had this problem, too, when they introduced the bigger trackpads on the MacBook several years back. My palm was constantly brushing the trackpad, resulting in a registered tap. I don’t remember if I changed something, or just type differently now, but I haven’t noticed the problem in a while.

Or it could be a bluetooth interference problem. See if the problem is still there after connecting the Trackpad to the computer via USB.