File sharing with nearby devices

In my personal life, I exclusively utilise Apple products. Conversely, at work, I employ a Windows PC and an Android smartphone. The transfer of files between these disparate operating systems is neither straightforward nor practical. However, today I fortuitously discovered the app LocalSend https://localsend.org/, which appears to be an optimal solution. It is free, decentralised, open source, cross-platform and has end-to-end encryption. I am curious whether others use it and would appreciate their thoughts on the matter.

I haven’t used it, but I’m aware of it and expect to use it if the need comes up. It appears to be the best cross-platform alternative to AirDrop.

The source code is released under the Apache-2.0 license and sandboxed versions are available on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac App Stores, which are both good signs.

1 Like

I’d be very cautious about transferring files between personal devices and devices/systems your employer owns and controls.

5 Likes

There is also snapdrop.net as a browser-based cross-platform tool.

(I think I heard about this from Casey Liss on ATP)

1 Like

It’s a very fair observation. I’ve been given a low-end Android smartphone, but I’ve been allowed to use an iPhone as a work device. I only use the Android phone for calls.

Yes, I use Localsend, mainly for sending items from my iPhone to a windows machine. I find it to be a great little app considering I’m generally cross platform.

I have also used Localsend, just to try it out - not extensively. It worked really well.

I would make sure you understand if your company takes any rights over your phone to protect its data. A company I once worked for had the right to wipe a personal phone used for work if they believed their data and network was compromised. I know they used that right one or two times.

I would also be careful of data protection issues - certainly in the EU and UK GDPR is pretty strict and can be expensive if a company mucks it up.