Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad are here

And then they’ll complain that macOS doesn’t work well on the tablet, or that Apple messed up desktop macOS in order to make it more tablet-friendly.

There’s no “win” here.

I would appreciate a shovelware implementation - but that’s not how Apple does things. Just like I’d appreciate a mini Apple Pencil for my iPhone, but that’s not how Apple does things either.

This. I think they could feasibly even do a discount for bundling, with the idea that a number of people would probably just pay the extra “just in case”.

I really don’t want a subscription for Logic or Final Cut on the desktop. I’d rather pay outright.

Is the subscription for desktop and for iPad? I already have FC on my MBP but I’m unwilling to pay a subscription going forward.

Thus far they’ve only announced a subscription for iPad. I’d bet that in the near future they’ll be offering a new version upgrade to FCP, Logic and the other desktop apps on a subscription basis. Of course, you’ll still be able to use what you’ve got but the new version might be just subscription. Perhaps a bundle with the iPad versions. Just a guess. And another guess, that going forward, they’ll do more work to bring the iPad version closer to feature parity and eventually round tripping to the Mac and back which is currently only offered with Logic.

I’m generally not a subscription person. I have ZERO app subscriptions and avoid it. That said, $5/month for FCP seems a decent deal and will be helpful for folks that don’t regularly do video editing but perhaps just a few times a year. Personally, I would not want to spend $300 to own it but might spend $20 for 4 months of occasional use. Ideally would be great to see them offer a one-time purchase option for those that want that.

All just my guesses.

Wow, and I thought I was allergic to subscriptions! :joy:

I still have a 1PW subscription and a Ulysses subscription. The only reason I’m using Ulysses instead of something like iA Writer is for its built-in grammar checker, which, though not as powerful as Grammarly’s, is much cheaper as a built-in feature of Ulysses’s $40/year subscription compared to Grammarly’s $145/year. I also need Ulyysse’s organizational features for a book project.

Not to hijack this thread with rants on subscriptions (this has been beaten to death by me—my apologies—and others), but I’ll just say that I’m moving from frustrated to almost angry about subscriptions. I know there are good reasons for them, but forcing us to a “rent to use” model for nearly all of our power applications is getting out of hand. It would be like a manufacturer forcing us to lease our vehicles rather than buying them outright. When I go to a dealer to buy a new vehicle, I immediately stop the salesman when he mentions leasing. It is a bad deal for the consumer but a good one for a dealer.

PS: I was not looking for this; I stumbled upon it looking for something else but it is funny enought that I thought I’d share it:

effgee: … This subscription racket has barely been around for a decade and everyone seems to have already forgotten that software developers had been making a (some: very good) living for decades before this particular business model monstrosity became commonplace. Flying Toasters had been a thing since 1989, professional software had been a thing for decades, share- and freeware had been a thing for even longer. And yet, for the past few years, everyone’s been crying into their breakfast cereal how software development as a whole will surely come to a bitter and horrific end if developers were suddenly no longer allowed to rent out their wares. In the end, the whole thing’s going to collapse like a flan on a cupboard just like people are now beginning to realize that a myriad of video streaming subscriptions turn out to be even more expensive than the extortionate cable TV prices of old. Apple has owned Final Cut Pro since 1998, and it purchased Emagic (formerly: C-Lab) in 2002 – both have been doing just fine as products you paid for once, and received free minor updates as well as the occasional paid upgrade (remember those?). But suddenly, scratching our hipster beards, everyone’s gone like: “Yep, Apple going subscription makes perfect sense.” No it doesn’t. Not unless you’re a major Apple/Adobe/whatever shareholder. I get that SaaS has a place in enterprise software, for example, where the maintenance effort can be almost as high as the one to release a piece of software (or even higher). But the extremes to which some developers have taken this, especially in consumer-facing software… [Parallels Desktop, anyone?]… where at times the justifications for extortionate rental fees are about as subtle as a duck in a school of pufferfish… it’s gotten completely out of hand. IMO, high time for a market correction. YMMV. [your mileage might vary] Oh, hang on… there’s a cloud right outside my office window that needs yelling at. BBL.

2 Likes

I’d like to have the opportunity to migrate over to a new Apple One bundle for media lovers. Let me replace News and Fitness with Logic and FCP

Apple One Media Bundle -

4TB of iCloud
Final Cut Pro iPad
Logic Pro iPad
Apple Music
Apple TV+

1 Like

You can connect a pro audio interface (and from there, microphones etc.) to the USB port (via Lightning >USB adapter on entry level models)