Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for iPad are here

Here’s the PR statement: Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPad - Apple

I just started using Logic Pro for a side gig a few weeks ago, and it shocks me that Apple doesn’t realize (or doesn’t care about) the need for external microphones in their high-end recording suite. But this all looks very interesting, and I’m very curious to hear what pros think once they get their hands on this.

5 Likes

Yes of course this is needed. Without it - then seems good for light mixing of pre existing material.

I’m already seeing some backlash to the subscription model. While it irks me that it’s also going subscription, it is the cheapest way to get pro tools like FCP and Logic Pro. That $299 price tag, even if I have to use it for several years, is still too heavy on my budget and wallet. So I welcome it and reminded that “this is why I’m poor because I have no ability to pay for pro tools and have to rely on subscriptions to afford it”.

1 Like

This is great news for users that need it and certainly there will be some. I want to be positive but I’m fairly certain the pundit folk, after a brief round of praise and “This is amazing!” will find something to complain about. And I’ll guess that most of the fancy YouTube folks will be excited for a minute but most of them have expensive Mac set-ups and will just keep using their Macs. If there are limitations or differences from the desktop version they’ll be what get’s talked about the most.

“This version of Final Cut Pro isn’t pro enough. I still need a Mac, FAIL!”
“Oh sure, we’ve got Final Cut Pro and Logic but where is Xcode? I still need a Mac, FAIL!”
“Oh, sure, we’ve got Final Cut Pro and Logic but iPadOS isn’t macOS. FAIL!”

IMG_5757

The goal posts will keep moving until a macOS tablet is released.

Apologies for the pessimism.

3 Likes

I’m happy for existing Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro users.

Personally I feel like the iPad is a dead creative platform in some sectors.

Whatever I can do on an iPad I can do faster and more efficiently on a Macbook.

Many of us believed in Apple Pro products and then they killed OS X Server, Aperture Xserve
There’s no need for me to buy into the dream of an all Apple workflow.

Blackmagic Design is crushing Final Cut Pro.

Grant Petty has stated numerous times they aren’t interested in subscriptions.

I’m not anti subscriptions I just think they have to come with a lot of stuff. If you buy a Waves, SSL or some plugin vendor you get the whole kit and caboodle.

3 Likes

I think it is great that they finally brought Pro apps to the iPad, and I’m not surprised they are subscriptions. Apple may still be selling hardware in a hundred years but IMO I think they see their future is services.

For those that really need these Pro IPad apps the price isn’t significant. For the rest of us there is LumaFusion and DaVinci Resolve.

Most can, as long as they have some place stable to place their computer. :wink:

I don’t think Apple ever considered the possibility of an all Apple workflow. The only time I ever saw a report (many years ago) of the software used at Apple HQ it was basically the same you would find at any large company. Microsoft Office, SAP, IBM Midrange computers, etc.

When we were migrating most of our users from Windows to Mac I installed a couple of Xserves and Xserve RAIDs that handled files and email, etc. but we still needed Windows, Linux servers and an IBM platform. And we didn’t use any of the Apple server software except File Server. When Apple discontinued the Xserves I replaced them with Windows servers and our users never noticed the change.

Apple appears content to sell end user hardware and consumer level services.

1 Like

I think that this will allow students or hobbyists to use it as they need it. I also wonder if Apple will make the Mac versions $10 to match. That way they’d get far more money out of users while (again) allowing more casual use.

Did you notice that the font for the pricing information is smaller that the other text? I find it disingenuous. I don’t like those kind of tricks.

1 Like

I still use Lumafusion for most of my videos. Plus I’m still rocking my 2018 iPad Pro so I don’t see a need to move to Resolve of FCP. I don’t think I’m upgrading to a newer pro this year as I it’s still fast for my Affinity Designer needs.

I think Resolve can run on my iPad Pro with some limitations.

In 2019 it was estimated that Apple makes $248 from every user per year. I figure my AirPods Pro cost $11.49 per month. :grinning:

I wouldn’t be surprised all the pro apps move to subscription at some point.

1 Like

Finally, I hope this is the start of making the iPad into a more serious pro tool.

I wish Xcode would get the same treatment, then an iPad will be as useful as I need, no more lugging a MacBook on holiday. I see it as a good sign for iPadOS.

@Denny predicted this response. I’m not criticizing, just messing with you a bit :slightly_smiling_face:.

If there are limitations or differences from the desktop version they’ll be what get’s talked about the most.

“This version of Final Cut Pro isn’t pro enough. I still need a Mac, FAIL!”
“Oh sure, we’ve got Final Cut Pro and Logic but where is Xcode? I still need a Mac, FAIL!”
“Oh, sure, we’ve got Final Cut Pro and Logic but iPadOS isn’t macOS. FAIL!”
[/quote]

1 Like

Isn’t that how Apple normally separates “hard” data (prices, specs, legal) from “soft” (promotional) content? And prices are in bold.

I don’t think it’s an attempt to de-emphasize or hide.

I’d like to see Logic Pro on an iPad connected to an external display and see how it goes.

About the subscription model, what really worries me is the desktop version, which I got as a one-time purchase since aeons go and have been receiving yearly updates.

I don’t know how Apple separates things. You are correct that monthly prices are bold but I found it odd that the font size related to pricing was smaller than the other text. Unless it was a mistake, it is reasonable to assume that smaller font is intended to de-emphasize pricing information but I’m probably wrong. Apple has never seemed to be concerned about high prices. :slightly_smiling_face:

yes, I will enjoy the screams of anguish when Apple charges devs an additional $5/month to use iPad Xcode.

I am now glad I never took the time to get acquainted with Final Cut. I am a long time Premiere user but I had been debating on branching out to DaVinci or Final Cut. Since only one of these runs on my iPads without an additional sub, the choice is now made for me. :smiley:

In my case though, video is not how I pay for my shoes. So I can imagine the $50/year for someone that uses it profesionally is a good deal.

In yesterday’s episode of Mac Break Weekly they have an excellent discussion of the iPad/Final Cut Pro combination. One of the regular guests, Alex Lindsay, is always fun to listen to and seems really knowledgeable in regards to video/multi-media production (his field). His take is that a primary use case is social media creation: YouTube/Tik Tok/Instagram. Particularly the younger crowd that are making a living creating for those platforms. It fits with Apple’s first promotional video for the release.

I think it’s a pretty standard practice to provide info like this, it also would surprise me if this tweak was sized to ensure that it all fitted on one iPhone screen without having to scroll.

It’s not like the main story is in 12 point font and the Pricing and availability is in 6 point or smaller. I’ve seen that done before.

It’s a shame they won’t allow you to actually pay like that, I could stomach AirPods Max on a 3 year payment cycle.

2 Likes