Finally! Easily scriptable HomeKit app for the Mac

This was shared over on the Automators forum but it’s too good not to share here too:

‎HomeControl Menu for HomeKit - $3 on the Mac App Store.

Not only does it give you quick menu bar access to scenes and devices… not only does it let you define keyboard shortcuts… not only does it let you hide devices that you don’t want to use (i.e. I don’t want to accidentally change lights in my wife’s or son’s rooms)… but it is also completely scriptable using x-callback-urls which means you can use it in Keyboard Maestro or shell scripts or AppleScripts.

It even creates the x-callback-url for you, all you have to do is right-click and copy it.

(There’s even a ‘security token’ so no one else can muck with your stuff… not that I’m 100% sure how they would, but it’s a nice extra layer of security.)

8 Likes

FYI The developer added the ability for HomeControl to trigger AirPlay scenes.

I am using it to use KM/StreamDeck to play/pause playlists on my HomePod.

I’m not sure where I learned about HomeControl, but there’s every chance it was here. I’ve been using it for a while now for Stream Deck buttons for my lights, using BetterTouchTool.

Except… I found the URLs cumbersome when setting up complex sequences (see below). So I created this script to simplify things in BTT. I’m posting it here in case anyone finds it useful.

Complex sequences, you ask? I have one button to “turn out the lights” in my study. Because that button is a fair way from the door and I do not want to be in here with the lights out (danger!) I needed a delay. But… not just any delay.

(ML = main lights, EL = entrance light, NC = NanoLeaf Canvas)

• NC=off, ML=green
  • 3 second delay
  • ML=orange
  • 3 seconds
  • ML=red
  • 3 seconds
  • ML=off, EL=green
  • 2 seconds
  • EL=orange
  • 2 seconds
  • EL=red
  • 2 seconds