Finally switching to Keychain from 1Password

I’ve been using 1Password 6 on my iMac. I just got my M1 MacBook Pro delivered today and one of the first apps I went to install was 1Password. Well, of course the M1 requires the latest 1Password 7 and the subscription I’ve been trying to avoid. I’ve decided to finally ditch 1Password and move everything to Apple Keychain. The UI for Keychain isn’t great, but it is integrated very well with Touch ID on the Mac. I don’t use any advanced features of 1Password, like Vault sharing, etc, so I don’t feel like it is worth paying a monthly subscription for.

3 Likes

There is still a standalone version of 1Password 7.

2 Likes

OK, looks like you’re right about that:

But it doesn’t say how much it costs and the pricing page doesn’t even mention it as an option. Sounds like they won’t have this option much longer, so I think it is time to switch to the free Apple provided solution that does everything I need.

1 Like

IIRC it’s something like $65.

I’ve been looking at DataVault as a 1Password replacement but I don’t know if it runs on Big Sur or not.

I ditched 1Password a couple of years ago and switched to the built in password manager. For me, I wasn’t using the advanced features, and the features I did use could be easily replicated with the stock apps (secure notes for example). Have not missed it at all, and it’s one less app that needs care and feeding from me and my bank account.

1 Like

I use it for many things besides passwords. The family plan works well for my wife and me. We can get to each other’s vaults when needed but don’t have wade through irrelevant entries in normal use.

6 Likes

One thing Keychain does not do (AFAIK) is 2FA? If it would provide 2FA with autofill then I would probably ditch 1Password.

2 Likes

I switched away from 1Password a couple of years ago, but I recently switched back.
1Password lets me keep some documents securely, lets me audit my passwords nicely, and its 2FA is fantastic.

Whilst I’m earning money, I personally find its cost worth the time savings and reduced stress but everyone’s situation is different.

11 Likes

I have being using Bitwarden due to multiple platforms support and is really good.

Been curious about it - how does it compare to 1Password ?

Sorry, I am not able to answer that since I have never used 1Password. I sued keychain until I got my gaming pc, and then I did some reading and Bitwarden got positive feedback and I try it and it work for my needs. I am no power user or anything near just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually used Bitwarden during my hiatus from 1Password.
It’s a reasonable app but doesn’t have the right integration and seamless use of 1P. I don’t think it really has any benefits I cared about compared to using Keychain except bring cross-platform.

1P, on the other hand is so well integrated that I have disabled key chain

1 Like

I’ve haven’t gone that far, but I only use keychain on casual sites that don’t offer 2FA.

Pay for 1Password. It is fabulous software, actively developed and quick to support new Mac and iOS technologies. Why would you not want to support software of this quality, and ensure a sustainable future for its developers? Sheesh.

I played with bitwarden a little bit and found that it’s not as polished. It crashed a few times on open and saving a password. I didn’t play with the integration with a browser.

I find the value of $5/month for the family membership worth it. The integration and cross-platform is well done. The shared vaults are very useful

Keychain is great for an individual.

Shared a deal for 10 months of 1password family free at December 2020 Sales and Hardware/Software Deals

1 Like

Maybe don’t be so quick to judge. :slightly_smiling_face: I am all for supporting developers, but if there’s software you like better and works better elsewhere, there’s no reason to keep paying for a given product, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Opening Statement: Look, hey, do whatever you like, however you like. Life is too short for me to try to change your mind. If you want to explore other options, go for it. Maybe you’ll find something you like better.

That being said…

I’m really glad I’m not a software developer.

Reading this thread and thinking back to 99% of the conversations that I hear about when people are talking about software subscriptions… I can’t help but think of it in the following way:

Customers: “We don’t like subscriptions! Give us the option to buy your app! Subscriptions are awful! User hostile! Money-grab! We hate them! If you switch to subscription-only, you’re going to lose me as a customer! I want a stand-alone purchase option!”

1Password: offers exactly what you have asked for

Customers: “Well, sure, maybe they offer what I want now but will my preferred option exist forever?!? Maybe not, so I’m not going to buy this. I’ll just use another option, even though:

1. I have used this app for years

2. It has worked so well that I wanted to keep using it

3. They gave me the non-subscription option that I wanted

4. Version 7 will most likely continue to work for a long time even if a future version isn’t sold as stand-alone.

5. The other option I’m using way fewer options. Still, I’d rather a worse option today rather than possibly not having a better option at some point in the future. After all, this is free.”

Result: Low sales of stand-alone version, which still carries an additional burden of development and support, but without any customers actually using it.

Developers: “Ok, so people said they hate subscriptions, but they didn’t buy the stand-alone version, so for the next version we aren’t going to offer a stand-alone version.”

Customers: “SEE!?! I KNEW IT! Developers are greedy bastards!! Subscriptions suck! I hate you!”

Yes, what I’m describing is a caricature, no doubt… but how much of an exaggeration is it really? I’ll grant that this thread might not been as fervently anti-subscription as what I’ve described, but we’ve all heard those things – and worse – said about apps that switch to subscription.

Someone on a podcast (not MPU) recently said something like: “I think a lot of people who bought a piece of software once and then used it for a really, really long time knew that they were kind of getting away with something, and mostly they’re mad because they can’t keep doing that, even if it hurts the developers of the apps they claim to love.”

There were people still using 1Password 3 from 2009 on iOS devices in 2017, and people using 1Password 4 for Mac (released 2013) when 1Password 7 came out in 2018.

Now, I get it… why spend money if you don’t have to, or why replace something that works? 100% no argument from me. But sometimes these discussions make me wonder how people would handle these sorts of things when physical items break down.

“Honey, the hot water tank gave out!”

“Oh no!”

“Yeah. The guy said it’s like 40 years old! He said the new ones only last for about 10-12 years.”

“It’s terrible the way they make things these days. No one has any pride in their work.”

“Meh. Let’s just stop using hot water.”

“We would save a lot of money that way.”

Anyway… it’s not my intention to offend anyone. As I said, at the end of the day, you should do what you think is the best choice for you, regardless of what some random guy on the Internet thinks about it.

24 Likes

I just think that 1Password is a bit expensive yearly for just really using it for 2FA autofill.
I’ll keep doing this because it’s handy (I could use Keychain and Authy otherwise) and there definitely is value now that I’ve switched from Safari to Brave.
But if I hadn’t, like Fantastical, it would be a luxury. A savvy software developer will also be aware of this and think about adding more value for retain customers, like Agile Tortoise does.

1 Like

Your analysis doesn’t work because Apple forced the old software business model to change. In the old days, you could buy a piece of software and use it for a really long time, but if you wanted the new version, you’d eventually have to pay an upgrade price. So people who were happy with the old features and didn’t want to pay for the new version could continue to do that. People who wanted the new and shiny version paid the upgrade price and this model seemed to work well for a long time. But Apple forbids this upgrade price model and subscriptions seem to be the way to introduce a similar model, but instead of paying an upgrade price once every couple of years, you pay more frequently. Was Apple right to kill the old upgrade model? I don’t know, but I do know most people hate change in general. I myself am fine with paying for subscriptions, but I am more merciless with killing subscriptions. In the old days, it was easier to give in to an upgrade price because it wasn’t a recurring expense on your credit card.