First sighting of an Apple Vision Pro in the wild. That was fast!

I understand @RunningBoris concern. I don’t like leaving my iPhone, AirPods, passport, etc. at checkpoints either. If a theft occurred my travel day could be ruined.

TSA agents caught on camera apparently stealing from passengers luggage.

3 Likes

IIRC, they weren’t “interacting”. Dad was recording the party, a very different thing. And totally comfortable to me, since my Dad took movies of family events starting in the 1950s, which is the only reason I know what my maternal grandmother looked like beyond a couple of formal studio portraits.

In practice, most people are going to use the phone to capture this stuff, but that feature wasn’t out when that demo was released at WWDC this summer.

I think most of this is what somebody called “stunt” usage (was it David, talking about the skateboarding video?). Nobody’s seen them, they’re COOL if you want to show off… The novelty factor will wear off quickly.

Heck, I can still remember being at a highway rest stop with my Plantronics headset in one ear, and having a guy walk up, all fascinated, asking “Is that BLUETOOTH?”. Wow, that was back in the Stone Ages.

1st gen Apple signaling. Used to be “see the iPhone in my hands”, while standing in line at Starbucks. Then it was “see my iPad”, then “see my Watch”.

Now it’s “see my bug-eyed Vision Pro that makes me look really weird but well-off”.

Katie

2 Likes

but well-off

Or more in debt. :wink:

1 Like

Wow that’s super interesting…I certainly don’t blame you for being leery at this point! For me personally, I’d still chance it. I think the likelihood of a theft in a security screening line is very small (and like others have said, there are cameras). But I get it.

1 Like

For some reason these “use case scenario” videos where people have stuff posted in every room of their home fill me with anxiety (or maybe it’s dread) about a future in which I’ll have to own one of these things just to interact with others and get work done.

I’m no Luddite, I’ve been using mobile technology since the mid 90’s and have been an adopter of most of Apple’s first gen lineups (iMac, MacBooks, iPod, iPhone and Apple Watch). But something about the nature of AVP is giving me real pause here.

One of the things that I’ve appreciated about mobile technology is that I can put it down and walk away from it and unplug - but these scenarios in which people have stuff posted all over their homes seems… perhaps precarious is the word I’m looking for.

4 Likes

The device is gonna shrink and will be much less noticeable. People walk around with AirPods all day, this is gonna be the same. The transparency mode makes it possible.

1 Like

Not sure that I agree that having a computer on one’s face at all times is the same experience as wearing wireless headphones. In the latter scenario, I’m still immersed in a shared-reality environment but with music in my ears. I pop them out quickly when someone wants to speak with me or I reach my destination.

With everyone wearing a face computer, we would all exist in individual environments, perhaps paying even less attention to one another. How many of us are already scoring double digits of hours per day interacting with the devices we have even now?

1 Like

Yeah, these kids these days with their “walkmen” and their alternate reality are really bad…

2 Likes

I agree with @Aaron_Antcliff, EarPods, Walkmans, et al, are not the same as having a VR contraption on one’s face, lost in “another world.” The former can be distracting, the latter is isolating.

2 Likes

For sure the form factor seems to be anti-social. And I say that as an extremely introverted techno nerd.

But I also have 6 monitors in my home office. So the appeal is there…

1 Like

In your scenario, I can see the appeal if you’re used to having multiple monitors on one work station. This might be especially appealing if you had critical things to work on while traveling.

Side question: do you think you’d give up your physical monitors for virtual ones if you found that there were no changes in your productivity when using AVP?

Yes - the ability to set up multiple monitors when in a hotel is a key reason I am pondering AVP.

As for whether I would give up my physical monitors for virtual ones I suspect not but for a reason that may be a niche use case. I do a lot of legal depositions by Zoom where I am asked questions by opposing attorneys about documents I have reviewed. The multi monitors are very helpful for me to have multiple sources/references available quickly. I think I would get an odd response if I were to participate in such a deposition wearing AVP and it would distract too much from the primary mission.

That is no doubt an edge case or rare use case; but it’s a key part of my computer use so for me I still need the physical monitors.

I think it also remains to be seen whether people find AVP truly feasible and comfortable to wear them full-time during a work day.

1 Like

U.S. pedestrian fatalities increased from 4,302 in 2010 to an estimated 7,624 in 2021. Pedestrians are already at greater risk due to distracted drivers that are looking at their phones and the screens in the cars. And distracted walking is already a factor in some of these deaths.

The last thing people need, IMO, is to be looking at something other than their surroundings.

3 Likes

Not sure I fully agree. We’ve all had teenagers (well, most of us, I’m assuming) and we’ve all been teenagers. We all had our “isolating” gadgets.

“Back in my day” … :rofl:

3 Likes

But I think that’s the point of the AVP…yes it has VR, but I definitely get the feel Apple is more interested in marketing/showing the AR aspects. And AR is not inherently isolating.

2 Likes

AR is not inherently isolating.
But the headset is. :slightly_smiling_face:

Granted. Retreating to a private place is a teenage inclination that can be necessary and good, not just for them but all of us from time to time.

But, walking around in a “private place” on our heads in public is different qualitatively and, in my estimation, is antithetical to what it means to live in community. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I hear you, I have concluded though, for me, there are likely many things that start antithetical before they become the norm.

“Elvis the Pelvis” comes to mind as a light-hearted example! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes