First time my M1 MacBook battery has let me down…

3.5 hours on a Zoom call using Camo as my camera and my MacBook Air was giving me the “Your Mac will shut down soon” message.

I mean, I wasn’t too sad because it was a 3.5 hour Zoom call that I was obviously ready to leave, but still…

I assume Camo’s processing much chew a lot of CPU or something, because the MacBook was literally not doing anything else except running Zoom (I was using my iPad for everything else).

1 Like

at what resolution?

tried EpocCam?

I’m not sure, probably the default which I think is 1080? Although zoom only uses 720 so I probably should have changed that.

This was the first time I’ve had need/opportunity to use my iPhone as my camera, so I tried Camo. I do have EpocCam and look forward to trying it out. Certainly a much less-expensive alternative.

1 Like

I don’t see how Camo would drain the battery faster if Zoom is capped at 720p.

The 100% passively cooled design might also be a contributing factor.

I assume Camo’s processing much chew a lot of CPU or something, because the MacBook was literally not doing anything else except running Zoom (I was using my iPad for everything else).

I suspect that it’s your iPhone that’s draining your Mac. The iPhone camera tends to draw quite a bit of power in my experience and my understanding is that most (if not all) of Camo’s processing is performed on the iPhone and not the Mac.

If the phone is plugged into the Mac, isn’t the Mac also charging the phone? How was your phone battery at the end of it all?

1 Like