Fixing the KRACK WiFI vulnerability on ScanSnap Scanners

Last summer, after several emails with Fujitsu’s support, they sent me an email with a tool and instructions on how to update the firmware of my iX500 to fix the KRACK WiFi vulnerability that was discovered at the end of 2017. Since - as far as I know - Fujitsu does not advertise the possibility of fixing the vulnerabilty, I wanted to let you know that this is possible.

Fujitsu is able to provide you with a firmware update tool via email. Unfortunately, this tool only runs on WindowsXP/Vista/7/8. Everything else (including Windows 8.1 and Windows 10) does not work. Luckily, I found a friend who had a machine still running Windows 7, so I could go through the installation process (which is just a few simple steps for which they provide good instructions).

Additionally, a support representative told me that you can verify that the firmware has been updated by making sure the version number is “0S00”. You can find it by right-clicking on the ScanSnap icon on your Mac or Windows computer, choosing “Help” and “ScanSnap Information”.

This actually really bothers me.

There are other threads here about how Fujitsu has obsolete their older but still functional scanners like the S500M in the new ScanSnap Home software for Mojave, although you can with some searching find the older ScanSnap software on their website if you search hard enough.

Now there is a serious security flaw in their product, and they don’t promote their software fix, nor do they make it even reasonably feasible to install it.

This is very disappointing.

2 Likes

Current firmware is 0T00.

1 Like