Focus Mode Schedules? iOS 16

I have iOS 16 and watchOS 9 installed. In the past few days I’ve had several strange scheduling problems. On Saturday my watch didn’t go into sleep mode at 10:30pm when it is scheduled. So I couldn’t wear my watch to bed.

On weekdays work focus is scheduled from 8am-6pm. It didn’t start as scheduled. Instead it started at noon.

In case it matters I’m running MacOS 12.6 and the current version of iPadOS.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I’ve not had any issues with automatic swapping of focus modes.

I have several configured, mostly for specific purposes with scheduled start and finish times.

Weekdays
8am - Work
12 noon - Personal
1pm - Work
5pm - turn off work

Every day
9pm - Chillout
10pm - Sleep

Saturdays
8am - 11am parkrun

1 Like

I need to do a more scientific examination (i.e., actually pay attention to make sure what is happening), but I turned off all my focus modes. I had set them only to switch lock screens based on time and location, with “silence” set to no apps and no people , yet I kept spotting notifications that had come to my watch and I never felt. I need to try again some time and make sure it wasn’t just be me being oblivious.

Mine do automatic switching but on the first two weeks (running the beta), its erratic, switching from Work to Personal at noon. I also notice that my bed time was adjusted after staying up late for a few weeks for an hour. Bedtime wasn’t affected on iOS15 but it does now on iOS16 so better check your bedtime schedule.

Mine have been reliably switching on and off per schedule. From none → DND → Sleep → DND → none.

However, I have a real problem with SMS alerts lately. I get them from our servers at work and they happily go DING! on my phone if the screen is on. If not, they just silently slip into the notifications until I happen to check my phone. Sometimes they will DING! on my watch.

iMessage messages reliably DING! on my watch or phone.

I did some testing the other day and found with the SMS that if I muted then immediately unmuted the thread, then messages would DING! but only until I actually looked at them. It’s infuriating.

If your watch is not set to mirror your iPhone settings, for certain apps, this may be the reason why

1 Like

I had the same issue, on updating to iOS 16 all my “upon ending focus X activate focus Y” had disappeared, so none of my focus switches based on time and location worked anymore.

1 Like

Thanks. I did check that, and it is set to mirror the phone. I don’t want to definitely say this is an iOS or watchOS glitch, though, as I sometimes don’t notice my wrist taps. When life slows down a bit, I may try it again and make more of a conscious effort to pay attention to it, to see if it is me or a glitch.

1 Like

I have been running a similar schedule for some weeks now, and I find it’s a bit unreliable. Too often (like daily), an active focus mode (either manually selected or set by schedule) will revert to the “Default” lock screen (associate with “no focus mode set”) without any pattern that I can find.

Hoping this might be fixed in 16.1.

1 Like