Foodie App Chinese Location?

Any idea why an app that takes photos would mark my location as China? Photo taken in Texas.

Sweet potatoes and marshmallows? So Southern :slight_smile:

Happy Thanksgiving! :turkey:

Katie

2 Likes

The exit point of the WiFi you’re connected to could be in China. Ie if someone is using a vpn.

1 Like

They are watching you!

1 Like

Snow Inc., who makes the app, is an Asian-based company and I am not using a VPN. Any thoughts?

Thanks for explaining that one. I really wanted to know but was too afraid to ask. Is it any good? Happy Thanksgiving from us too.

1 Like

Yummy. Sweet, hot, and gooey – and everyone’s family has their own proprietary recipe: pecans, no pecans, apples, no apples – whatever, it’s a Thanksgiving treat.

Katie

2 Likes

Send a picture of the map in places. This is intriguing!

2 Likes

It is intriguing especially since Nyingchi also known as Linzhi is, I think, in the ‘autonomous’ region of Tibet. Some would say, including many Tibetans if they felt free to speak. So one really wonders given the current disgraceful behavior by Apple regarding Crimea. However we run the risk of becomming ‘political’ so best drop it eh? :shushing_face:

Could be wrong sign on longitude. This happened to a lot of my photos when I moved from UK to US. London in middle of North Sea. US locations in China. Check the coordinates.

1 Like

Here you go!

Very approximately this is 30 north 90 east in Tibet. 30 north 90 west is New Orleans. Some systems use a positive number plus an E or W for longitude, others use positive or negative numbers.
I think Apple started one way and switched. My first iPhone was in the UK and when I moved across the Atlantic the image from that phone got restored onto subsequent phones. Several years of photos ended up geotagged in the wrong direction, e.g China instead of USA.
This could be an app bug. Contact the developer?

1 Like