For eero users, did you bother setting up the HomeKit

features? Any downsides? Thanks?

I did, and then has to disable it. It prevented Pi-Hole from working on my network by adding a DNS before it that wouldnā€™t resolve. Itā€™s a nice feature, but until they fix that bug Iā€™m happy to live without it.

I did not. I run Eero in bridge mode because I want to preserve the WiFi networks that my router generates.

I did, and it needs little intervention from the user.

In theory itā€™s segregating each IOT device from the rest of your personal devices. So for devices that donā€™t use a hub which communicates over WiFi or that only talk back to their makerā€™s website, a breach in security should not affect your other devices.

Iā€™ve not had any negative experiences.

2 Likes

Same for me. 20 characters ā€¦

1 Like

Just interested in why youā€™re doing that. Do you have multiple WiFi LANs for different devices?

I use Eeroā€™s standard Wifi network for own devices and guests go on the Eero Guest Wifi.

Hmm I got my eero in April and we havenā€™t had a guest in the house sinceā€¦ #pandemic-tech

Strange topology preferences mainly.

It gives me four wireless networks that have different purposes. Plus, I have an equal distribution of wired (ethernet) and wireless devices and prefer to manage everything at my fibre router. The eero is just another device for convenience purposes to haul the signals across the house. The routerā€™s networks do not reach the farthest corners; the eeroā€™s networks do.

1 Like

I think itā€™s worth setting up.

It gives two advantages:

1. You can restrict communication for less trustworthy products (Iā€™m looking at you, Aqara)
  2. You donā€™t expose your WiFi credentials to vendors. Instead, a unique pre-shared key is generated (but requires you to re-add the device)

Most people say that they donā€™t care if a vendor knows whether their lights are ā€˜onā€™ or ā€˜offā€™, and while I do care about that, I mainly worried about the cameras I just began to add. The ā€œlocalnessā€ of HomeKit is partially why I chose it in the first place.

The main downside is that accessory firmware updates donā€™t work when set to ā€˜restrictā€™, but those come out so infrequently that I donā€™t mind.

I ran in to the same issue as @RosemaryOrchard with my Pi-Hole, but ended up buying Eeroā€™s Secure product because cloudflared kept having issues on my Pi-Hole. Eeroā€™s ad-blocking is in beta still and honestly isnā€™t very good, but itā€™s fairly cheap to get encrypted DNS without all the hassle of maintaining yet another thing (though Iā€™m a nerd so maybe Iā€™ll miss that :rofl:).

2 Likes