For Kindle owners

Ive bought a bunch of “Take Control” ebooks over the years. I usually read them in PDF format on the Mac or iPad.

I’m thinking about getting a Kindle on Black Friday. Is it possible to put books (in Kindle format, of course) into a Kindle, if I didn’t buy the book from Amazon?

If so, how?

Thanks

There’s 2 ways, you can either load them via USB or send them via email to your kindle (there’s a special email address).

3 Likes

I use calibre for all my kindle/ebook management needs.

Fantastic app, that is updated almost too regularly ha (it has an update available every time I open it, without fail).

4 Likes

Take Control provided me with three formats: PDF, Kindle, and iBooks.

Log-in to your Take Control account and see if you have access to the other formats.

Steve

I use app: SendtoKindle
:grinning:
You can send:

1. .mobi files
    or
  2. .epub books (but you have to change extension to .png -> book_name.epub change to book_name.png)
2 Likes

I send files back and forth all the time via USB.

I use Kindle Fire devices as my LambTracker handheld so have tomove the database on and off regularly.

On my Kindle original model and kindle paperwhite I also use the USB port to move files onto it.

1 Like

If you find the right Calibre plugin, you can backup your kindle books to your Mac and even convert them to other formats.

3 Likes

How do you connect your kindle to Calibre? and what exactly is it that you can manage in Calibre?

1 Like

I have all of my eBooks stored in Calibre, it’s like iTunes for eBooks. You can store different file formats, make sure the metadata is right, etc. I like to tag my books (primarily fiction vs non-fiction), and have it sync all of my function to my Kindle - and download the non-function in iBooks on my iPad.

3 Likes

One major tip i learned reading my PDF/Ebooks is type CONVERT in the subject line if you are emailing them to your kindle

it will send to kindle and convert to an easier readable format

sidebar: I’m going to look into this calibre bc my ebook management is a mess i have stuff on USB, stuff on g-drive, books in evernote - need to get organized

I have Calibre on my Mac but never use it. The UI is heinous :slight_smile:

The UI is indeed in need of an update but it does its job so well that I dont mind :slight_smile:

Like Rosemary said, I use it as a place to store and manage all my ebooks. Load the ones on to my kindle that I plan on reading in the near future and remove them as I tick them off.

1 Like