Former users of Todoist- Why Did You Switch Apps and What App Are You Currently Using

I’m between Things 3 and Todoist right now.

Mainly because I use a PC at work.

I really like how if I forward an email to my Todoist account, I get an exact copy of the email, including the atttachemnts. Even the rich text and highlighting are preserved from the email. It literally looks exactly like it does in Outlook.

With Things 3, I can forward an email, but no formatting is retained. Just the text. And there is attachment support.

To be honest, I’m very curious what Cultured Code (makers of Things 3) are working on for future updates. Everything I see people ask about on twitter they say they aren’t going to do.

It will be interesting to watch. I’m a little worried we will enter a Things 3 slump of development similar to the 5+ year slump they had with Things 2.

I bought into Todoist’s Pro plan last fall when I was able to lock in the $29/yr price, before the (small) price increase to $3/month. Although the interface is definitely clunkier than much of the competition, and it handles subtasks/checklists worse than TickTick/Things/Taskade/etc, I’m pretty enamored of its powerful and flexible tasks (eg recurring tasks where the due date of the next instance of that task depends on when it is completed - the next instance can be exactly two months from when the task is checked-off, for example, as opposed to every two months period) and its English language parser. The other thing I find incredibly useful is two-way sync with my calendar, so that I can set a day/time for something but if I move it in the calendar it will immediately sync back to Todoist.

Finally, I bought in for last year’s promise of a ‘reimagining’ of the app, which apparently includes a one-click Trello-like ‘Cards’ view, which Todoist gave a sneak-peek of 4 months ago on Twitter:

If Todoist falls down on its promised improvements, and If I can find a (better-looking) Mac/iOS task app that works with Google Calendar (which I live inside for all my tasks and planning) for 2-way sync, I’d definitely consider switching. But right now the other task managers either have their own calendar views or offer one-way task pasting into calendars, so I don’t know of better options for me right now.

1 Like

Todoist has stuck with me for years.

The key things that made me switch (and then) stick:

• Recurring dates - agree with @bowline, the recurring date handling is excellent. The two options for recurring (recur based on due date, or recur based on date completed) were a game changing improvement on my previous tool. Good automation.
  • Shared projects - I’m not interested in a system that can’t do this. I have projects that are just me (eg. work, personal), but I also have projects with my partner (eg. house chores). I don’t want to look in different systems for the things I have to get done.
  • Filters - the custom filters do a great job of helping me focus on my current context.
  • Automation - I’ve been adding certain tasks via IFTT/Zapier for years. It’s excellent.

For me personally, the subscription price is a bargain for what I get out of it.

I agree on all four features. I have been using Todoist for about five years and those features and the natural language task entry keep me with todoist. There are a few small frustrations with the product but they don’t overwhelm the benefits (for me).

OmniFocus works best for me. I have to ignore the features I haven’t yet discovered I need.

Things I love about OmniFocus: (in no particular order)

1. Defer Dates - I can hide things that are not relevant until later in the month/season/year
  2. Automation - there is so much I can do without ever opening the app (because let’s be honest, todo apps can be a timesuck. I can add tasks into my inbox from multiple programs and contexts
  3. Custom Perspectives - the MOST IMPORTANT thing for me about a task manager is deciding what to do on any given day. I am a professor at three different colleges, have a family of 4, own a home with property, etc, and there are too many tasks that can be done at any one time. OmniFocus custom perspectives (requires pro, cheaper on iOS) allow me to identify what I can do by triaging what is available giving certain Contexts. I rule the task manager, it doesn’t rule me, is key for me. I just want to understand options given the day or the week/month/year.

If you don’t have that many horizons of responsibility or different hats that you wear I would go with Things 3 - great combination or power and pleasure. If you have SetApp then 2do is pretty good.

1 Like