Foundation on Apple TV+ (Spoiler Alert)

Well I saw the film of ST before I read the book - somehow missed the book entirely - so I was able “appreciate” the film as a film.

And, compared to most of the other films on offer at the time and pretty much all of the SF I thought it was pretty good. Quite a shock when I did get to the book!

I deliberately haven’t gone back to re-read the original Foundation series so I am not trying to compare the series in detail to the books and, anyway, the film / audio-visual experience has to be different. Having watched only one episode so far, it hasn’t shaped up to being a Dune disaster yet,

Heinlein and Verhoeven, either you love them or hate them, no mild feelings :smiley:

I like both the book and the movie, but they are two different beasts.

3 Likes

A take on the difficulty of translating Foundation to film, and hacking the books to make Apple’s version:

AppleTV+'s ‘Foundation’ Book to TV Show Differences, Explained - ‘Foundation’ Finds Inclusivity on TV

“…Raych, Seldon’s right-hand man” – well, Raych was actually Hari Seldon’s adopted son with (to an inexperienced teen) the incredibly hot Dors Venabili.

“it only makes sense that Apple TV+ would up the steamy scene quotient.” – Of course it would!

Glad there were no spoilers here! Still to watch the first two episodes as we are away for the weekend with little to no internet (in a good way!) :grinning:

I wrote to the Good Doctor when I was a kid, he kindly responded. I wish I had the postcard still! :disappointed:

Agreed on both counts. I enjoyed seeing the movie in the theater, but have never been able to sit through a rewatch.

Paul Verhoeven reportedly despised the novel “Starship Troopers,” and created the movie as an expression of his contempt. Even on those grounds, it’s a failure.

It’s not even very good as a big dumb sci-fi 90s summer blockbuster. “Independence Day” is much better for that.

I’m muting this thread–I don’t want to read spoilers; I’ve only watched the first episode. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Already saw both episode 1 & 2 twice. Looking forward to the 3rd episode. I like that its a weekly thing as I have something to look forward to every week. Just like with Ted Lasso, its therapeutic seeing it after a week of working.

1 Like

And Apple keep you subscribing for longer :wink:

Dune, as in the “latest” release – or the earlier attempts?

I got AppleOne and I like their offering so it wasn’t as bad as everyone think it is. :slight_smile:

I first read the Foundation Trilogy back in the early 1970s and I’ve read the 1st book again since then. I watched the 1st Foundation episode and I think Apple used the book as a loose basis for the series. IMO, if they stuck too close to the book they would loose some viewers. It is a complex story, but don’t let that opinion scare you away from reading what is one of the best SF series that has ever been written. I think, like so many book adaptations, you have to look at the series on its own merit. I loved the work of Lou Llobell, who played the young Gaal Dornick. I look forward to seeing more of her work through the series. Going to stay with it for at least season 1.

2 Likes

It’s worth buying AppleTV+ just for Ted Lasso! They are doing some very nice stuff. Check out this story for a peek at what they have planned.

1 Like

Velvet Underground and Invasion already on my Up Next :slight_smile:

I also love the fact that they are some shows that my SO enjoy but we make sure to watch Ted Lasso together on weekends or as soon as possible. She enjoyed Foundation as well.

Just watched episode 1 and agree that the series has to be seen on its own merits.

To my mind there is an error from the book in the opening sentence but maybe they’re actually aligning very much with the book (that may not make sense, but it will if they are true to the story line.)

I also prefer different pronunciation for Gaal (Gail???) and Hari (Harry?). Anyway, I noticed there is an Asimov on the production team so I’m probably wrong! :joy:

If anyone else is reading the books first and doesn’t mind digital, all seven are available in publication order for $25 from Apple. The book sample is pretty long, too.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-complete-isaac-asimovs-foundation-series/id1584787962

Verhoeven’s satire is quite good! The propaganda clips especially get better over time. I enjoy the book as well. I was a little young for the film release so I didn’t have the experience of being disappointed by the direction they went.

2 Likes

Ursula LeGuin’s Earthsea - great trilogy (and more), deplorable TV adaptation.

Eragon - the first book focused hard on the struggles of a kid living in poverty trying to feed a dragon increasing amounts of meat. In the movie, the dragon just magically, bam! turned into an adult. I gave up on it after that.

This is a Foundation for today, with Asimov’s daughter among the executive producers, It may be different from the book in detail but very close in the big themes. I really like the prime number meditation and raising number base bias as well - there’s a mathematics consultant listed in the credits.

2 Likes

I started re-reading Foundation. Gaal is a he. He left Synnax with a PhD in mathematics. Synnax is a word, not a world. No gas giant moons, no horned boats, no water, no prayer stones, no tearful goodbyes to family, no being hounded off the planet for studying science, no prime number meditation.

Just as Titanic found gaps in the historical record to slip in an engaging story, so ATV+ Foundation fills in the structure of Asimov’s story with visuals and human thoughts and feelings.

Anyone else re-reading?

1 Like

I will, at some point after finishing a couple of the books I’m reading

Yes, this time I purchased the trilogy from Audible. Finished the first one before I started watching and plan to stay ahead of my ATV+ viewing.