Free and open source software Wiki

This is a wiki post, so feel free to add your own entries.

Graphics, Diagramming, CAD

Draw.io

I’ve just encountered draw.io, which is both a web-based diagramming application, as well as an app that can be installed on macOS, Windows, Linux, and Chrome.
It looks to be very capable, and a competitor to OmniGraffle, etc.
It’s also free, but not evil, in that the company is not interested in our data.

HT to SCO, where I discovered it: https://screencastsonline.com/tutorials/mac-apps/draw

Cmap Tools

Cmap software is a result of research conducted at the Florida Institute for Human & Machine Cognition (IHMC). It empowers users to construct, navigate, share and criticize knowledge models represented as concept maps.

Concept maps differ from mind maps in that they are not strictly hierarchical, and thus allow more flexibility in representing knowedge.

Inkscape

Inkscape is a vector-based drawing program, similar to Adobe Illustrator.

Scribus

Scribes is for desktop publishing (brochures, posters, packaging, etc.).

KiCAD

To layout PCBs for electronics projects.

Photo and Image Editing

GIMP is the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, a free alternative to Adobe Photoshop.

Text Editors

EMACS

The EMACS editor is very powerful and has been extended way beyond its TECO roots. It can support email, task management, and many other things, in addition to being a great text editor. It comes in many flavors, each appealing to a subset of users.

MacTeX

An installation of LaTeX For macOS. LaTeX is not really an editor, leaving this here for now.

Atom

A great text editor.

Notes & Notetaking

Task Management

Office Suites, Publishing

LibreOffice

An office suite similar to Microsoft Office offering word processing, spreadsheet, and other capabilities.

Development

Scientific

R and RStudio

For statistical analysis, and data visualization.

Utilities

Cyberduck

Cyberduck is a libre server and cloud storage browser for Mac and Windows with support for FTP, SFTP , WebDAV , Amazon S3 , OpenStack Swift , Backblaze B2 , Microsoft Azure & OneDrive , Google Drive and Dropbox .

iTerm2

A replacement for the macOS Terminal program.

Calibre - eBook manager

Package Managers

Each have their own take on how things should be done. I would recommend doing research, picking one, and sticking with it.

homebrew

Platforms such as Linux use package managers to install, update, and remove software, much as macOS uses the App Store. Homebrew is a command line package manager for macOS that allows installing many software packages, utilities, editors, and even Mac applications.

MacPorts

Also a popular package manager that provides access to many (perhaps all) of the same packages as homebrew.

3 Likes

This is the emacs I use.

Another package manager is MacPorts.

1 Like

Thanks!
That’s a wiki post, so feel free to add things in.
GNU EMACS (the one you use) was already listed.
I added MacPorts.