Friendly Reminder - Create Local Encrypted Backups For Your iPhones and iPads Before iOS 12 Drops Tomorrow

Not everyone will agree of course, but I always recommend to my family and friends that they create an encrypted backup in iTunes before upgrading to a major release of iOS. Doesn’t hurt to have that data saved before making the leap. Happy iOS 12 to one and all tomorrow!

3 Likes

Our of curiosity, do you also use iCloud backups? Is this just one extra precaution you like to take (not a bad idea, just curious)?

I use iCloud and iMazing for daily backups. Before a software update I will make sure both are current.

The iMazing backup replaces the iTunes local backup in my case. If I didn’t have iMazing I would make sure I had a current iTunes backup (always use encrypted backups to include sensitive data like passwords) and I would also archive that backup so it doesn’t get overwritten.

1 Like

Hi @HobbyCollector I definitely use encrypted iCloud backups and have to turn them back on after doing an iTunes backup. I keep doing the local because if want to preserve health data and some app data that I don’t trust to just the iCloud backup.

1 Like

Curious. I don’t have to re-enable iCloud backups after doing an iTunes backup. I connect the device via cable, view the device in iTunes, click the Backup button, wait, disconnect. The device continues with iCloud backups as scheduled. Note that I do not change the default backup method (iCloud).

Does health data not get backed up to iCloud?

Forgive me but I believe that link (and others) indictate Apple does backup health data to iCloud.

Thanks. I inferred that the need for an encrypted backup in iTunes meant that it wasn’t available at all in iCloud. Clearly not true. I removed the post.

1 Like

So far so good. Have updated 2x iPhones (7 & X) and an iPad Pro 10.5”. Working on the Apple Watch Series 3 now and have one other iPad Pro (9.7”) remaining.

All had backups in iCloud as well as local to a Mac both in iTunes and iMazing; several belts plus suspenders.