Gaming Changing Audio Editing Software

There are a couple of software apps that are a game-changer in audio processing arena.

Both of these transcript audio apps allow subsequent editing of this audio by using a text editor. Additionally, Decript will now allow the adding of spoken words from added texts WOW!

I see this as one area where AI will quickly advance accuracy.

Going forward this will eliminate the tedious manual translation services and reduce the time for these transcripts which now will be reduced to checking the transcription for accuracy.

Descript now has added Overdub as a feature on July 30, 2020. After a short training session, it will speak in the trained voice of the text that is typed. Double WOW!

1 Like

Wow - those are stunning

Both mighty cool, just wish there was an option for a “buy-once” vs. a subscription for each.

Well I could not disagree with your statement more. It seems that common expectations of many people is that software should be free and having being in a position of selling software services for a couple of years, I think that it is easier selling life insurance.

Unfortunately, many a software founder lives in this dream world and once the seed money runs out so does the company run out of business.

There is ongoing maintenance and development of new features on most packages.

The sell once model and being dependent on constantly growing new users base is unstainable especially since ASP of software has been reduced over the years from 100’s of dollars to a submultiple of that.

The subscription-based model is here to stay and the only financially viable business model or variations thereof such as SetApp of which has just opened shop on IOS devices.

Read this
2Do/BusyCal & Busy Contacts on the Ropes

then this Qlearly taking on Water

There are so many more in this sinking boat.

So beware of the money one thinks that they may be saving will be spent in the future by getting a new app and spending the time to port your data over to it and learning another set of commands.

I think the subscription model is the fairest system it is a pay-per-use, allows one to get in at low cost, and if you do not need their services anymore then just cancel.

So given that it costs…

These human-produced options cost a bit more, but you’re getting more accuracy with them. You’ll pay about 80 cents to $1.50 per audio minute. However, these transcripts are 99 percent accurate. With most independent contractor podcast transcription services, after you upload your file, you’ll get your transcript within 12 to 36 hours.

So the break-even point using the minimum $0.80/minute is 36 minutes. So if you do Audio editing in excess of 36 minutes a month you are saving money. The files will still need some human editing but this will greatly add productivity to the editor.

I am still doing research to determine how this mindset has developed over the years. I would like to read an argument for a viable business model instead of a subscription service for a Software Development company to use except an ad based model.

I have recently switched to YouTube Premium for 0.50 a day my life is so much better-enjoying content ad-free.

I welcome any rebuttal to my opinion in this rant and I do not want any of my writings to be perceived as against any person because it is strictly an agreement against the business model.

Both apps are aimed at revenue-generating businesses.

A subscription model might actually be preferred by many businesses because it makes it more likely that the vendor will be responsive to ongoing customer needs.

From the educational sphere where this also has tremendous applicability, we have large investments up front on clearing a product for use based on new data privacy and security laws. We also have occasional years in which our budgets are thinner or fatter with room to invest in something like this. What we can’t predict year to year is of our budgets are approved, therefore multi-year commitments are a non-starter.

I could potentially justify the investment in the privacy and security review and behind-the-scenes implementation costs along with a higher one time software purchase cost if I knew we could definitely use the software for several years. Not being permitted to commit to anything past this fiscal year, however, I have a large up front investment in a security and legal review, while also being able to commit to using the product only until our next budget cycle is (hopefully) approved.

I have no problem with paying developers appropriately for their work, but there are additional complications with subscription models in certain arenas that place them out of our reach for reasons that have nothing to do with adequately compensating the creators.

Fair enough - but how do you propose that software companies fund the staff for ongoing product support and software patches - both of which may be needed due to no fault of their own.

Charge enough up front to cover multiple years of a software version, then continue to enhance at a level that entices customer to continue purchasing. It has worked for many developers. Perhaps the price tag is $30 per month, OR $800 for a full perpetual license with three years of guaranteed updates.

If the bureacracy in your institution is such that you cannot predict future budgeting, then how do you purchase any asset that requires ongoing maintenance and/or ongoing supplies?

Welcome to the challenges of technology in public education. :slight_smile:

In regards to the educational markets, I would suggest that these be exempted from any revenue. The companies have three areas to migate this compensation.

One, they train a large set of the incoming user base. People resist change and will want to stick with the apps that they were trained on or forced to use.

Second, they can get very good feedback from the users unbiased by having any money in the investment.

Third, this is a PR marketing dream.

This is a long-term strategy and not new, I seen many other companies use this model with good results.

Edit… Of course this would only work if the education market was a small percentage of your total market. A company who majority of market is the educational market would not be able to use this model

As seen above a number of issues with the low-cost model that was ushered in by the App Store.

One it is a race down to the bottom that has proven to be unsustainable.

Two, Apple keeps on change some important underlying structure on a quick timetable (that they can do with their massive tech staff) that is a formidable challenge for many developers to provide upgrades either due to technical challenges or lack of finances.

Having to retire an App that has tens of thousands of users points to the failure of this business model.

Personally, I would blacklist this company unless they had something really compelling offering that was not offered by any other company.

That may be harsh but there are so many companies vying for attention.

Personally, if I was advising them I would suggest that they go out to their customer base with a business model proposal and say look this app is requiring much more support than we forecasted. Our choice is to convert to a financially viable model or else retirethe application.

In their defense, they did have a proper export capability and gave instructions on how to export their content out of the app into AirTable using a CSV file.

BTW, I tried Notion Importation of Evernote’s notes and it is terrible. Unsable terrible at this time.

One thing I do not know if the Apple app store has a method to communicate to their end users in mass.