Get Siri to set a timer on a specific device

I’ve been learning how to use Siri on my Watch (because of this forum, you enablers). I only really use it for setting timers and turning lights off at night. I decided to enable Siri on my kitchen HomePod Mini because for some reason Siri on the Apple Watch will not play music through the HomePods (it says “sorry, I can’t do that”). (This isn’t my question, but if anyone knows why I can’t do that please say!)

The problem I now have is that when I use Siri now, the kitchen HomePod is picking up the instruction instead of my Watch. Apple says HomePods will generally pick up Siri instructions by default even if there are other devices are nearby. That’s fine - I don’t care which device picks up the instruction - BUT I want the timer to run on my watch, and I can’t see how to tell the HomePod to do that.

Does anyone know if you can tell Siri to set a timer on a specific device, and what instruction to use? (Saying “Hey Siri, set watch timer for X mins” does not work, it just sets a timer on the HomePod called “watch timer”.) I can’t find a solution online.

I don’t like the timer running on the HomePod for three reasons: 1) it assumes I will be nearby to hear the alarm, 2) I can’t open the device and see how much time is remaining, 3) I am used to my watch vibrating to alert me to stuff.

I find this a weirdly frustrating quirk so I’m hoping there is a good solution!

1 Like