Giving Airmail a second chance

I like to have (at least a measure of) feature parity with iOS and AFAIK, Mimestream only works with Gmail accounts, right? But it sure looks interesting.

If only Spark would take some cues from Airmail for task integration, it would be feature-complete for me. (Newton is. But Newton is… depressing to use :sweat_smile:and more importantly, it still feels very brittle. I’ve had too many things fail on me.)

Yes, Mimestream is macOS only at this stage, and still in beta. I think they say they will eventually go iOS but I’d suggest it’s a while off yet. (Not that they aren’t developing at a break-neck pace!)

I agree the task integration was top notch in Airmail. Just a pity that the little stuff like… you know… reliably rendering an email when you open it, didn’t really work.

I don’t really use any “features” of Spark. For me, it’s “the email client that works everywhere and doesn’t open emails unless I ask.” Except Mimestream has lured me away on macOS now.

3 Likes

@zkarj thanks for the clarification. I have mail setup with the list on top, preview on the bottom. If I click on an email in the list and read it in the preview then archive it, Mail highlights the next message in my list The same process happens if I double click a message to open it and then archive it. In neither situation does it “open” it as such–it is just in the preview pane. You are right, the preview pane does not go blank but I actually prefer the cursor moving to the next message and showing the preview. I tend to process email in bulk, which is probably why I prefer this behavior.

3 Likes

I’m beating a dead horse. I know. Sorry. But I just can’t for the life of me fathom how supposedly sane people can ship software like this.

I still have a copy of Airmail running at the moment to transition my actions fully towards Spark. I just saw v5 was released! Oh, great! Maybe it will be the terrific one that makes me forgive everything.

Now look at this preference pane. The whole of it. Tell me how even a power user is supposed to understand what it relates to, much less figuring it out.

I’m honestly, deeply, baffled.

Anyway, good riddance.

2 Likes

has it been confirmed that the original devs left and this patchwork from the past couple of years is just contract workers from one of those “get a coder now” websites? did I read that somewhere or is that just my suspicions pretending to be facts? :smiley:

and are you Spark now on iOS and Mac?

1 Like

I have not read this anywhere. When interacting on the Airmail beta Slack, I have talked to real people (using the broken English we all know and love in the update notes) who seem to be real developers. However, I am thinking along the same lines: whatever happened, the real talent and vision seems to have left the building for a few years.

Yes, and I won’t be moving anywhere for a while. Spark works entirely as advertised for anything important (like, sending emails and setting reminders…) and has been generally very solid and reactive, which is a relief. Their Smart Inbox filters emails well but the UX needs work, which is why I’m complementing it with Sanebox. I’m now sending all emails to OmniFocus, either with AppleScript or through the in-built task integration, which is not great, but I’ve designed a specific OmniFocus perspective to catch tasks with a Spark email link in the note field and no project and tag for further processing.

I’d like something a little more frictionless, but it works and it’s the best email system I’ve used at this point. It’s not perfect though, but after a LOT of testing, it provides me with the best possibilities of the features I need (send later is perfect, snoozing and reminders work, task integration could be better but is usable with a little creativity), and I trust Readdle to not start breaking things unexpectedly.

Now I have the beta for desktop installed, and I’m eagerly watching for the new major version that has been promised to drop!

2 Likes

Would you alert the forum when this drops? I don’t want to miss it!

1 Like

I definitely will, if I’m allowed to (as soon as I am, otherwise!).

1 Like

remember when airmail had the url scheme for one click sending?

airmail://x-callback-url/send?from=info%40email.com&subject=subj&to=infoto%40email.com&plainBody=hello&x-source=sourceapp&x-success=sourceapp%3A%2F%2Fsuccess&x-error=sourceapp%3A%2F%2Ferror&x-cancel=sourceapp%3A%2F%2Fcancelled

you could type an email in drafts, then just click. no confirmations, it came right back to drafts…

1 Like

There is obviously something wrong with me! My wife would agree. :laughing:

I keep going back and forth between Apple Mail and Spark. This is so frustrating. I like most things about Spark but then I run into the frustration of Spark email links opening on the web or the inability in Spark to zoom the text on emails like one can in Apple Mail. Then, in Apple Mail on iOS/iPadOS, one cannot create hyperlinks, seriously? In 2021?

I need or soon will, therapy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

… and Agile Tortoise could never get them to answer, yeah…

Are you using internal readdle-spark:// links or using the public link feature design for collaboration? You need the former.

I agree that they need the ability to create deep links on the fly more clearly than through some undocumented AppleScript. Hopefully that’s coming…

nothing wrong with you. it’s perfectly normal to have 3-4 fully configured email apps on your iOS device or Mac. I do it too. it’s the state we are in because of developer arrogance and/or laziness.

if Greg Pierce/@agiletortoise developed an email app, there would be only one email thread here and it would just be about all of the cool stuff we could do with draftMail or whatever he would call it. We would all be using it on iOS and Macs, other email apps would just go away, and it would be good.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to do the internal link. On my iPad I select this link:

How do I get the internal link on iOS/iPadOS or is this just a Mac option?

I’m glad to know “that it’s them”, not me! :slight_smile:

You can’t on iOS, UNLESS you send the email to (in your case) Things. Then you can go fishing for it in your inbox. (I know, it’s horribly clunky and even more maddening that you can’t even copy the link from the dialog box that pops up before sending to Things). That’s why I have a special OmniFocus designed for “catching” emails to process and readdle-spark:// links.

On Mac, you solve that through AppleScript (see the linked thread). Be aware this does not work, though, in search screens (you instead get a link to the previously selected email, which tells me something in the UI layers is wonky, which could explain why they redesign the app, and why the AppleScript dictionary has never been officially documented).

I was experimenting with Spark (iOS) on the M1, and it has advantages and disadvantages. you can expand your shares to include the normal mac shares like messages, etc. you get a pdf button but cannot save to the hd. it must be shared to notability, swiftscan (which are both iOS on my m1). and you lose the print option. So not really worth switching to iOS version.

1 Like

I appreciate the information but that sounds like more trouble than it is worth! :slight_smile: I did a little more experimenting and discovered that on iOS a Spark link will indeed open in Craft natively without going to the Spark website.

But, in Things, the link goes to the Spark website, but, one Spark has the option of adding the content of the email directly to Things using the integration tool. All the necessary content automatically goes into Things. One also has the option of embedding either the content or a link.

1 Like

Aaaah wait wait wait

These are two different things.
In both cases, you are viewing the conversation online. The only difference being that Craft opens an in-app web view (embedded Safari) but Things propels you to your default browser.

In both cases, you’re not using the internal deep linking but the collaboration links, which go to the web. Internal deep linking uses the Readdle-Spark:// format which is used when you share the email to Things, from inside Spark.

I know. Confusing.

to demostrate what a sad situation email apps are, 1 week after paying an annual subscription for airmail, I am still looking for other email app solutions… :frowning:

1 Like

The only good thing that can be said about an Airmail yearly subscription is that it’s as cheap as it can get.

In more ways than one…