Giving Airmail a second chance

Mail.app is pretty alright on macOS so I totally understand you there. Fingers crossed that MailKit enables a new set of developers to take the app further.

I am disappointed to yet again admit Airmail is not cutting. A day of emailing later and that app has been continually breaking reply and forward formatting and I just cannot work with that. It’s a shame really, because the labels and workflows were much appreciated.

Also I admit I don’t believe Airmail processes any email sending unless I see the bar at the bottom says so.
Even Spark sometimes fails to send an email if I leave the app too quickly while the undo option is ticking down.

Anyways, back to Spark for me because Mail.app on iOS 15 still doesn’t support Gmail aliases.

1 Like

Thanks for taking one for the team and letting us know. It’s mystifying that Airmail remains in that state after so many years. It will always be thus, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Yes, but I had his back …. Though pretty far back after being burned my Airmail before! :laughing:

2 Likes

why do you keep making me install Airmail?!?! :grinning:

I had decided that Spark had won the iOS war by sucking the least, then you pointed out the omnifocus flaw that I had just accepted as ok… now Airmail handles the omifocus integration but does not have notifications. so I am stuck with two faulty mail apps again… :sob:

I am starting to believe that mail app developers are the least talented devs in iOS…

3 Likes

I use Hook to tie my tasks and Spark mails together. Works great.

It’s not me this time! Not me! I didn’t start it again! :sweat_smile:

I did the same calculation as you did, that Spark was the one sucking the least (I even devised an OF inbox perspective to specifically catch Spark deep links in notes for processing tasks). That is, if you use iOS and macOS on a roughly equal footing. If not, the balance shifts a lot when you have access to macOS’ scripting capabilities. At the moment, I find that Mail.app + Mailbutler is the most stable / powerful combination. (But fear not, it’s gonna change in in three months :grin:)

There definitely is a Spark 3.0 on the way (as stated by Readdle on Twitter). I really, really hope they revisit their task integration at that time. If they do, Spark is definitely going to be the clear winner.

I wholeheartedly agree with you: how is it that no email app does everything right? It’s not like it’s a very opinionated thing.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work so well on iOS though. :wink:

for macOS, Spark is missing the macOS services menu unless you select all of an email’s text but Airmail on macOS is a cobbled together disaster. So winner by default, Spark.

1 Like

aaaannnndddd… I am back on Airmail iOS and macOS… :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Ahahah you got there faster than I did :laughing:
How is it going?

On my end, I have KM’ed the hell of out Apple Mail to have the Airmail action sounds :grin:

on the iOS side, they fixed the url scheme to send plain text to Airmail from Drafts.

on the Mac side the one tap on the spacebar to create a pdf in the DT inbox is gold. I was not a DT user the last time I used Airmail so that feature alone, makes it worth it now. Also I like just hitting return to auto forward to a specific address. As you pointed out the Omnifocus integration is more robust than spark, and it has fantastical integration that spark is missing. so final verdict, spark loses.

1 Like

I have a feeling the word “second” in the thread title is… not telling the full story. :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks for elaborating, and now… you make me want to try it again :laughing:
Well, last time it was me who brought you back to it so I guess what comes around goes around :grin:

Dealbreaker. After a year and a half of reporting the bug, the devs still haven’t fixed send later with aliases and as always with Airmail, it fails silently.
Do I tell you how angry I am at the devs for leaving such a lack of polish? No, of course not. You felt like this yourself. :grin:

did you email the report or chat with them?

Several times throughout the last 18 months, via chat, on their Slack, checking in, again and again. I got conflicting answers from support « we don’t support that » « actually we do » « do we? » and the devs themselves basically said « ah ». :roll_eyes:

I thought this was a one person operation… there are actually multiple people contributing to this disaster? :grinning:

1 Like

I saw three different names on Slack, two of which are moderately active. (Because they manage their Slack as the rest of the operation: it’s a vast silent chamber where you’re never really sure if there’s still anybody there - true story, at some point people where truly wondering if the company had not gone bankrupt since the silence was deafening) plus one person for tech support that I know of.

This company really gives a masterclass in how not to manage a community (if you think Smile is tone deaf, then Bloop beats them by so, so far). Did I mention they also used to buy 5-star reviews on the App Store?

1 Like

If that is accurate, I will never use Airmail. I will not knowingly do business with a dishonest company. Why would I trust my email with them?

And please don’t lecture me [I’m NOT referring to @anon85228692 per se but to anyone reading this] :slight_smile: about Google, et al. :slight_smile: I have taken every possible step to avoid Google (and other companies with known and suspect practices) as much as feasible given that my organization uses Google Suite (or whatever they call it today) and one’s limited options short of becoming a tech hermit. :slight_smile:

I have been looking just now about the reviews I saw a few months back: they’re gone now, but they were on the French App Store, written in very clunky English, sometimes entirely off the mark (something like, I quote from memory “I like it when it does that and it is what is the best ”), and they were the only reviews that got answers. There were about 8 of them, all very similar, all equally barely understandable, all 5-star. I reported them regularly for weeks.

Now, to be entirely fair, this does not prove they bought reviews. But honestly, this is suspicious as hell.

2 Likes