Giving Airmail a second chance

Hope you won’t get bitten :sweat_smile:
Seems like the best way to subscribe is on iOS (unlocks the Mac app, from what it seems).

1 Like

Ah, the endless search for an email client you’re happy with.

I, too, got annoyed with Airmail. It’s chief problem was completely failing to render emails on a regular basis without closing and reopening them.

I currently use Spark because it’s okay in general and it has the one vital feature for me that Apple Mail lacks — namely, when I close or delete or archive an email, I do not want to see another email. I want to see the inbox or folder.

Does anyone have any further details about the Hey email service/app from the guys over at Basecamp are soon to launch?

Or have experience of using Proton Mail (and the VPN Service)?

I’ve sent an email to Hey requesting access and telling my email story, as we were supposed to do - never had an answer. If they’re already using the product internally there might be some missing pieces :grin:

2 Likes

The Basecamp folks have placed the launch of “Hey” on hold until the COVID-19 crisis settles down: Signal v. Noise: Why Hey had to wait.

2 Likes

The reason I mentioned it was because of this:

1 Like

Ah — I didn’t catch that. That sounds encouraging. Thanks!

(Yup, it’s only normal, but I had sent my email way before. Anyway, I’m in no hurry, will wait for release.)

Whoops.

2 Likes

One thing I like about Spark on iOS is that I can customize notifications to show only the sender and subject, and that the notifications have an in-notification quick reply feature like other standard messaging apps. Neither Mail or Outlook do those things. Does Airmail? (Om iOS, I mean.)

I don’t know about customising the notification content, but you can sure select whatever actions you want.

Have a play with the custom actions sometime! They’re really useful for me.

1 Like

Do you work for Airmail @RosemaryOrchard? I see your avatar in the Airmail live-support chat room.

I’ve done a few reviews of their support articles for them to let them know what to fix over the years, but I don’t work for them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A bit strange that your avatar is than still showing up in their live chat. Could you please disclose if your work for them is a paid gig? Just to put things into perspective.

In The Netherlands (where I’m from) we once had a quite famous commercial: And that’s why we from Toilet Duck recommend… Toilet Duck."

It was, but it was also several years ago. I’m not sure why I’m still in their system! I was a loyal user before that and still use the app today.

1 Like

Like others I bought Airmail when it came out. Like others I was quite upset with their pricing structure change. It was more about the lack of respect for users than it was the actual money, so I tried out a bunch of alternatives before settling on Spark for a while. As I changed my mail setups I learnt that I can’t actually change the server details in Spark in any other way than to delete the account and set it up again. If one of those accounts is your master account: too bad for you, oops, sorry, but no…

So I decided to try out Airmail again. Paid for it, again, and all was kind of well…until I noticed on my iOS devices, a “delete mail” actually didn’t delete the mail. Guess it was some sync issues, but having say 10 mails in your inbox and you wish to delete 9 of them could turn in to many minutes of repeatedly delete the mails, only for them to pop up at the bottom of the list again. Drove me mad. I tried Outlook too, but somehow it drove me mad to have an piece of software/app that big, but it couldn’t actually sync my iCal calendars, so half the app (the calendar parts) was unusable, which felt like a waste.

Now I’m back at Apple Mail with Smallcubed Mailsuite whilst looking at my alternatives. The benefit is obviously rather tight integration with macOS and iOS. The drawbacks is that there is quite a lot of functionality missing.

Also, the UX of the iOS Mail app drives me up the wall. I have 1 Gmail account and 8 different IMAP accounts. However, I can’t set the swipe actions on iOS Mail to be consistently “delete” or “archive” (my two most used swipes in other apps, for example Airmail/Spark or Outlook on my work phone). It is different for each of the accounts in Mail! I have to slide ever so slightly in one direction to see if the mail, which I can’t tag per automation on iOS Mail, to see if that mail is on an account with delete on right-swipe or left-swipe.

1 Like

No user if I’ve misunderstood, but I have a similar setup (Gmail plus various IMAP accounts) and I’m able to have them all consistently left-swipe to Archive as the right-most option. It required going into the Advanced options for each account in Passwords and Accounts to set it up.

Hope that helps, but if it’s missed the point, apologies

Ah, thanks, I shall check it out, and see if I too can get it work consistently. I don’t mind if it is “on the right” or “on the left” as long as it is consistent. :slight_smile:

Still rather annoying that I am not trusted to set this myself easily (just like I can in other mail apps…which then have other downfalls like “weird sync” or “doesn’t actually delete at all”, which are worse to me).

Life, it seems to me, is often a choice of “least worst” :grinning:

1 Like