Google Bard vs ChatCPT - and the ‘winner is” …

I’m going to give Google Bard a spin. I’m on the waiting list so I’m not sure how long it will take for me to receive the invitation. I’m looking forward to comparing its responses to ChatGTP’s when given identical prompts.

3 Likes

I am too, have to use vpn to get into the waiting list. Let me know when you are on and your experience

I will! ………………………………

IMHO , at the end Google could win in the long run, despite the early set back. The reason is that they have gathered trillions of real data from users, Andriod, Google search, etc. So their AI training is based on real data, rather than Microsoft that they can only train GPT 3 or 4 based on what they have access to. For Adobe, they are in even inferior situation,

At least, that is my naive way of thhkng

1 Like

I received my invitation and ran a test using the exact same prompt.

I would selected ChatCPT as the “winner” in terms of its more thorough, specific response.

Which AI do you think did the better job?

Google Bard

Write a 750 word article on increasing cybersecurity in K-12 schools

Cybersecurity in K-12 schools is a critical issue that has become increasingly important in recent years. With the rise of technology use in schools, there has been a corresponding increase in the number of cyberattacks targeting these institutions. These attacks can have a devastating impact on schools, disrupting educational instruction and school operations, and impacting students, their families, and teachers.

There are a number of steps that schools can take to increase their cybersecurity posture and protect themselves from cyberattacks. These include:

• Implementing strong cybersecurity policies and procedures. Schools should have policies in place that outline how they will protect their data and systems. These policies should cover topics such as data encryption, user authentication, and password management.

• Training staff on cybersecurity best practices. Staff members should be trained on how to identify and avoid phishing scams, how to use strong passwords, and how to report suspicious activity.

• Using up-to-date security software. Schools should use antivirus software, firewalls, and other security tools to protect their networks from attack.

• Implementing a security awareness program. Schools should implement a security awareness program that educates students, staff, and parents about the importance of cybersecurity. The program should include training on how to identify and avoid phishing scams, how to use strong passwords, and how to report suspicious activity.

These are just a few of the steps that schools can take to increase their cybersecurity posture and protect themselves from cyberattacks. By taking these steps, schools can help to ensure that their students, staff, and data are safe from harm.

In addition to the steps listed above, there are a number of other things that schools can do to increase their cybersecurity posture. These include:

• Ensuring that all devices are properly secured. This includes laptops, tablets, smartphones, and any other devices that are connected to the school’s network. Devices should be secured with strong passwords and encryption.

• Using a secure network. The school’s network should be secured with a firewall and intrusion detection system. This will help to prevent unauthorized access to the network and to identify and stop attacks.

• Educating students and staff about cybersecurity. Students and staff should be educated about the importance of cybersecurity and how to stay safe online. This includes teaching them how to identify and avoid phishing scams, how to use strong passwords, and how to report suspicious activity.

• Partnering with law enforcement. Schools should partner with law enforcement to help identify and investigate cyberattacks. This will help to ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice and that schools are better prepared for future attacks.

By taking these steps, schools can help to protect themselves from cyberattacks and ensure that their students, staff, and data are safe.

ChatGPT

Write a 750 word article on increasing cybersecurity in K-12 schools

As the use of technology in K-12 schools continues to grow, so does the need for increased cybersecurity measures. The pandemic has accelerated the adoption of digital tools and platforms, making it even more critical to ensure the safety and security of students, staff, and sensitive data. In this article, we will explore some of the ways in which K-12 schools can increase cybersecurity.

1. Conduct a risk assessment
    The first step in improving cybersecurity is to identify the risks and vulnerabilities within your school’s systems and infrastructure. This can be done through a comprehensive risk assessment that examines all areas of the school’s network, including hardware, software, data, and people. A risk assessment will help you understand the potential impact of a cyber attack, identify weak points in your system, and prioritize your security efforts.

2. Implement strong passwords and two-factor authentication
    One of the most common ways hackers gain access to school networks is through weak or easily guessable passwords. To prevent this, schools should enforce strong password policies that require a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Additionally, schools should implement two-factor authentication (2FA) to add an extra layer of security. 2FA requires users to provide two forms of identification before gaining access to a system, such as a password and a unique code sent to a mobile device.

3. Train staff and students on cybersecurity best practices
    Schools should provide regular training for both staff and students on cybersecurity best practices. This includes teaching them how to recognize phishing scams, how to create strong passwords, how to avoid clicking on suspicious links, and how to report security incidents. By educating staff and students on these topics, schools can reduce the risk of a cyber attack.

4. Update software and hardware regularly
    Hackers are constantly searching for vulnerabilities in software and hardware systems to exploit. To prevent this, schools should ensure that all software and hardware is up to date with the latest security patches and updates. This includes everything from operating systems and applications to routers and firewalls. Regular updates help to close security gaps and reduce the risk of a cyber attack.

5. Use firewalls and antivirus software
    Firewalls and antivirus software are essential tools for protecting school networks. A firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. Antivirus software scans for and removes malware, viruses, and other malicious software from devices. Schools should ensure that they have both of these tools in place and that they are kept up to date.

6. Control access to sensitive data
    Schools collect a lot of sensitive data about students, staff, and families, including names, addresses, social security numbers, and medical information. This data is a prime target for hackers and must be protected. Schools should implement strict access controls that limit who can access sensitive data. This includes using role-based access controls (RBAC) that assign specific permissions to users based on their job responsibilities.

7. (ChatCPT stopped generating at 7 with only a blinking cursor)

1 Like

I think it is a little simplistic to view this as a “winner take all” contest.

There isn’t just “one AI”, there are many things that AI can assist, and no one solution will be best, or even well suited to them all.

I was not striving to be comprehensive in any way–I just thought it would be fun to see how the AIs respond to the same prompt. I was not being particularly serious. I should have made that clearer. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, it simply failed…
How could this be named a “winner”!?

At this point what we are seeing is Microsoft and Google applying AI mainly to search and productivity apps. Two areas where Apple doesn’t currently compete.

The AI being demonstrated today relies on massive amounts of data and computing power so that doesn’t sound like something that could be done on-device. But perhaps some part could be download and utilized on-device.

I’m not smart enough to even guess where this technology will be in the next few years. Most business rely on Google for search and Microsoft and/or Google, as well as many SAAS services to run their business today. And most use Macs, iPhones, and iPads for some or all of their end user devices. None of that likely to change anytime soon.

Speaking of change, Microsoft just released the public beta of its Loop App. I wonder if they just Sherlocked Notion?

1 Like

Here is an interesting paper showing GPT-4’s scoring capabilities for many of today’s academic exams. Summary: “while less capable than humans in many real-world scenarios, exhibits human-level performance on various professional and academic benchmarks.”

What is interesting to me is how much AI’s “intelligence” has improved from version 3.5 to 4.0.

Not being a real Power User and having to use MS apps at the office, I’ve grown a little fond of some of the MS apps and how MS is constantly updating and adding features. So I’m jumping into Loop (have never used Notion) and see how it goes…

1 Like

There a saying that got started back in the '70s, “No one every got fired for choosing IBM”. In more recent years many started saying the same about Microsoft. I started with Lotus 1-2-3 v1A moved to Excel when our corporate I.T. department surprised me with a Mac LC. MS Office became the standard business package for planet Earth many years ago and will probably remain #1 until AI puts us all out to pasture.

I’ve never used/managed Microsoft Teams or SharePoint just Office, Windows, and a bunch of servers. I guess when you are already running the most used operating system and/or office software you are more likely to add packages from the same developer, as long as it’s good enough.

I was referring to the quality of the content. The stoppage may have been due to a browser hangup. I didn’t want to refresh hoping it would restart. Since this was not a serious test, I just went with what I had. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like