Google requiring all ‘G Suite legacy free edition’ users to start paying for Workspace this year

Can I ask specifically how you do that? By “that” I mean “have it not bother you enough.” :joy:

At least it’s not as bad as Outlook/Exchange used to be where the emails would get a large, bold “Sent on behalf of…” splashed across the top. Did you know that even if the reply-to address is correct, people will still manually address their replies to where you don’t want them? :roll_eyes:

Tbh I don’t use email very much these days. It’s mostly texting and messaging apps.

1 Like

Does that apply if you merely have an email account?

Assuming this is related to the original post — it applies to what was called Google Apps For Your Domain (GAFYD), later called Google Workspace. Even if you only use email on this service, you “have” all sorts of other services (calendar, contacts, YouTube, Google Drive, etc.)

Google have come up with a “free plan” which includes most of the services everyone on the original free plans would want except email. A rather cynical move on their part if you ask me.

If you just have a regular something@gmail.com then it does not affect you.

1 Like

Quick question:

Do forwarded emails take a spam hit as the email address it’s coming from is an alias?

As an aside I use email a lot and I do look closely at the actual email address as it’s the first line of protection against spam/phishing. It’s the first thing I encourage all users to do and has been very effective.

1 Like

On this Twitter thread I was suggested to check everything with mail-tester.com by Mimestream’s creator.

" Forwarding cases and how they affect your Email Authentication (SPF/DKIM) results

SPF: When it comes to Forwarding, SPF Authentication checks will mostly fail, this is logical since a new entity, not included in the original sender’s SPF Record, send the forwarded email.

DKIM: Email forwarding does not affect DKIM, as long as you have not altered the content and the structure of the original Email."

I have a Google Workspace account with one primary domain and one alias domain and Google is the authorized sender for both domains. If you look at the headers of an email you have sent (to another address/email provider, not to yourself) you can see the results of SPF and DKIM tests.

If in doubt about your forwarding, I’d suggest you check with your email provider.

83,701 messages backed up
83,418 restored
52 with invalid attachments (file types previously allowed, now not)
231 with multiple ‘From’ headers. Hmmmm.

Total restore time was within a whisker of 24 hours!

I think I may not be the only one out there with a domain name and some family emails that is looking for the easiest and perhaps cheapest way of migrating from our old workspace that we used primarily for email. I’ll describe my situation and hopefully it will resonate with others and anyone with great advice can make good suggestions for us.

I have a domain on Google that has my own primary email, one secondary email for me, an email for my daughter, and one for my mother-in-law. So I created 4 email addresses on Google and I fully understood how to manage those using Google admin tools. Obviously, all the addresses end in @mydomain.com

Now that I have to move, I’ve thought of the price of staying, which would be $24/month if the special pricing stays around and $48/month if it returns to regular pricing. Since three of those four emails are pretty low traffic, $576 a year is a hefty price to keep them on Google when none of them uses any other Google services.

If I move my own primary email to Fastmail, it looks like I can use their mid-tier service for myself and pay $50/year. Now the question is, what to do with the other three addresses. I guess life felt pretty simple when I was on Google Workspaces because I could manage it all in one admin console. My actual domain name registration is through Bluehost, but I guess in somewhat the same way as I (forgot how I) proved to Google that I should be able to manage the email domain in Google, I’ll need to do that with Fastmail too. If I move my own over there, can I create any of those Basic ($30/year) email addresses under the same domain on Fastmail?

And if my daughter was to want to keep the same daughter@mydomain.com address, how does she get that from another service if I’m the domain owner?

Sorry if some of this is pretty basic to everyone else, but I’m just not quite sure what to do with these to be the least disruptive to everyone and honestly, to be relatively cheap.

Do the other three emails need to stay on mydomain.com? No. It would just be the work of creating new Gmail addresses for them and then making email address changes for anyone they correspond with or updating logins on a bunch of sites. That’s doable, though not ideal.

I realize now how good I had it when it was easy enough to just create new emails anytime I wanted. I still wish there was a lightweight way for Google to just let us all remain there, even if it was a reduced number of features for a much lower price.

So what would you do? Since I admin those addresses for my relatives, it’s my responsibility to get them migrated somewhere. I suppose I can get those additional 4 months for free and figure it all out in that time too.

Maybe I’m surprised to not see more companies offering Google Workspace migration plans for people like me. Am I missing some that are trying to make it really easy?

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 Like

Why don’t you consider other email hosts like, for example, MXroute or PurelyMail, both of which will give you unlimited domains and unlimited users on these domains for pretty much the same amount of money you are expecting to pay for a single user on Fastmail?

2 Likes

The downside of offering your family email addresses on a domain you look after… if something needs to change, you need to deal with them as well.

I was in a very similar situation with 4 email addresses, two mine, two family members’. The hardest part is anyone@mydomain.com has to exist at the same provider. Which is not to say you can’t forward some mailboxes.

I went with Hover, as they are my domain registrar. I now pay for the $20 per year small mailboxes for each of the four accounts. My family’s and one of mine stop there. My main address I now forward to a regular Gmail account so I can continue to use the Gmail web interface, Mimestream, and the powerful spam and search capabilities of Google, while still keeping my identity.

My wife has her own domain on a separate Google Workspace account and after what I just went through with the above, I’m just going to pay for hers. I might reconsider if the price goes up from the $6 but man, I do not want to have to go through that again. She has more email than me, and she won’t easily deal with the few dramas I had post-migration.

1 Like

I am a bit confused - I think I have just a simple free gmail account. How can I check if I have G Suite or Google Workspace account?

if your address ends in @gmail.com you are fine

ok great thanks for the info. So if the address end in mydomin.com then it will need payment? Also I know a small business that uses what I thought was called G suite - and I think is already paying for the service. Will their prices change also?

Can anyone comment on their experience with either MXroute or PurelyMail?

Your reply is exactly why I posted this. I was not aware of these two companies. They look like they do provide me with what I’m looking for. My biggest hesitation is knowing if they’re reputable, reliable, and will be in it for the long haul. Even seeing that MX Route had a $175 lifetime plan (limited as it may be) potentially makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll do more research on them and if anyone else here has experience with them, it would be great to hear it.

Thank you for your reply. That is helpful. I’ll look again at Hover to see how it fits for my needs.

Prices I don’t think are changing, but if you have account with your domain you will have to start paying. You should have gotten messages about this. Can you login to admin.google.com with that account?

I don’t have personal experience with either of them yet, but I’ve seen them recommended on /r/gsuitelegacymigration on Reddit and it looks as if people are generally happy with their service (I’ve also been researching them as an option).

MXroute is apparently reputable enough and is ran by a guy who has experience in telcos and ISPs previously. It seems to be a no-frills service for those who know how to set it up and who will not need much help in setting it up (and they are quite clear about that in their FAQ and documentation), which they say is how they are able to lower the costs. This is also why they release a select number of lifetime plans and why these are not always available, all depending on how much capacity on their servers they know they have and can commit, which is an interesting model (and they are actually quite upfront that this means for the lifetime of the company). I think there is a limited calendar and no contacts support though (see their documentation), they just want to focus on email.

If you are worried about a single guy running the operation and the ‘bus factor’, see some of their comments and user comments here, and here, for example. I like their no-fuss and direct tone in the FAQ and the documentation.

Thank you for pointing me towards what others have said and what they say about themselves. That’s great stuff for me to read and consider.

1 Like