Grammarly Banned by the Federal Government

Grammerly was banned in January from the Sate’s mobile phones and I didn’t know I was in love with this app.

Does this mean that Grammerly is a key logger for the Chinese government? I’m upset because this app hides all the problems I have with spelling words right, I’m an electrician.

Is there anything close from an American company? Can 1Password add this into their app. What do you do without it? I’m eating a lot of chocolate.

Kimmar

So is grammarly a genuine security concern or are its actions simply a necessity that you can’t correct grammar if you don’t have the text?

I had no idea I should be concerned with security using Grammarly. I found this site’s assessment of Grammarly’s security. I have no idea how credible the site is and I don’t understand most of what I read, but here it is:

So, if MS and several states are banning Grammarly, should I be concerned and stop using it? The school pays for it so this could be a school-wide concern for us, not just an individual concern. I should add that I don’t use the website, I use the desktop app and Safari extension.

I guess it would depend how much you work with information which is proprietary or subject to other confidentiality requirements.

You say that the school pays for it which implies that there may be some confidentiality requirements around personal student data such as academic performance or disciplinary issues, but equally if your school pays for it does that mean that they’ve carried out a due diligence review and have OK’d it…

2 Likes

You knew about it four years ago! :stuck_out_tongue:

That Upguard security report is not something to worry about. It’s just information about either their cache or load balancer on Amazon Web Services and doesn’t tell you much about the security of their actual application and databases. (Also, they scored well.) The data absorption and retention is why these companies aren’t allowing Grammarly, which is all all intentional/legal use.

2 Likes