Grammarly vs Fixkey

In @MacSparky ’s latest newsletter, he shared information about one of his latest sponsors, Fixkey. Has anyone used it, and if so, how does it compare to Grammarly? I have a Grammarly subscription (paid for by my employer). Grammarly is good but expensive.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I believe you mean Fixkey.

Haven’t used it, but saw something on Reddit a while ago on one of the Apple based Reddits. Consensus was that it not worth you time. No where near the features of Grammarly with a difficult UI, IIRC.

I love MacSparky and have spent way too much money on products he has recommended over the years. One thing I learned long ago, sponsorships do not equal endorsements. Even long term ones. (This goes for all blogger/podcasters/YouTubers etc.)

1 Like

To me, they look like they are just reselling OpenAI. Grammarly’s check is a proprietary system that existed before and I find it better than feeding text into OpenAI for rewording.

I find AI makes text sound weird, while Grammarly makes real improvements to writing.

2 Likes

Thank you, I corrected the typos. As to endorsement, David wrote: “ I’ve been using it, and I’m impressed. I love that it works everywhere and gives me a way to quickly clean up and improve my writing.” I’m not criticizing David at all, but that sounds like an endorsement. :slightly_smiling_face:

They are also paying him money.

Indeed, and I’d expect David to endorse a sponsored product. I’ve followed David for a long time. I trust him. As far as I’ve been able to discern, he never recommends an app or service that, at least at the time, he does not believe in, and he does not accept sponsorships unless he believes there is value in the product or service. And, of course, without the sponsorships, we would not have this forum and the podcast without paying a significant subscription. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

From what I could see looking at the website, Fixkey automatically makes changes. That’s a dealbreaker for me. I want the app to suggest changes to me and ask me whether they’re OK.