Grav & Dropbox. Is this a good combo?

Have heard in different places people talking about publishing blog posts from text/markdown files stored in Dropbox. I believe they’re using Grav

How easy it is to set it up? Any considerations/recommendations if the purpose is to run a simple blog? How does it compare to wordpress?

Thanks

They’re probably not using Grav, because that requires a lot of hidden files/folders (I use it myself), and doesn’t natively support Dropbox (I’m on the forums and in the Slack and never see that brought up). There is a GitSync option where you can sync the pages via GitHub/GitLab - which is what I use.

They may be using Jekyll or similar.

1 Like

They might be referring to Blot instead.
It is very easy to set up. I think it’s a great solution for a simple blog and is a steal at $20 USD/year. Much simpler solution than WordPress, but that simplicity comes at the cost of advanced functionality, which probably wouldn’t be a concern for a simple blog.

1 Like

There’s also updog built on similar premises.

Kirby has a guide for integrating Dropbox and I think similar instructions will work for Grav - however, I don’t consider this an easy setup (involves installing Dropbox on the server via their command line installer - not entirely trivial).

1 Like

This is the one I’ve heard about. Will try it out!

What about security? Is that on the dropbox side?

PS - great video!!

Regarding security, you need to give Blot access to a single directory within your Dropbox account. You’ll need to trust Dropbox to limit Blot’s access to said directory.

If you’re referring to site security/SSL, that’s available via Blot’s admin panel:

You can now configure your domain to redirect all HTTP traffic to HTTPS.

Log in to the dashboard, turn it on and let me know if you encounter any problems. I’ll make it the default setting once I’m confident Blot’s SSL configuration is working properly! pic.twitter.com/rYb634u27F

— Blot (@Blot__) February 15, 2018

I think Blot’s documentation could use some work. I find it difficult to discover and navigate, but there’s some useful information here:

https://blot.im/developers

Finally, I should note that the previously linked video was the work of the developer, not me.

PS: Researching this reply was an eye-opener for me. Check the “Connected Apps” section of your Dropbox account. You’ll be surprised/terrified at the number of apps that have full read/write access to any file therein.

1 Like

So a git server is required? I’ve heard of people using git on Dropbox, would it be possible then? (I’m not staying I’d do that, I would make something custom :slight_smile:)

Most people use GitLab or GitHub for the sync, but it’s not required at all :slight_smile:

1 Like