Great subscription apps: what ones do you love?

Not most business software. In the 70s the minicomputer and server-based business apps I know of were disabled when subscriptions stopped.

1 Like

I’m currently subscribed to: Overcast, Bear, Day One, Adobe Creative Cloud, Netflix (family), Amazon Prime, Spotify (family).

I will drop: Bear, Day One, Adobe Creative Cloud, Netflix (next year, paid my cousin in advance), Amazon Prime (won’t renew).

Remaining: Overcast (:heart:), Spotify (not great, not terrible)

3 Likes

Here’s what I have - it feels like a lot when you list it out. I added things that aren’t just apps to the list though so I could get a good look at everything.

YNAB - Annual Subscription $50
Google Drive - paid subsection $1.99
iCloud - 200 GB - $2.99
Praxis Blog - Monthly Subscription - $5
iTunes Subscription - $16.99 Family
Flickr Pro - $50
Evernote - Subscription Premium
DayOne - Premium
1Password - Family Subscription
Ulysses - Subscription - Educator
Notion - Teacher Subscription (Free)
Basecamp - non-profit (Free)
Fantastical (Annual)
Drafts (Annual)
Overcast (Just paid for pro)
SaneBox - 2 email addresses (2-year sub)
Setapp Subscription (education)
Baron Fig notebooks - Subscription
Smore - Educational Subscription
Grammarly - Premium (Recently canceled)
Wordpress.com Premium (Gatheringinlight.com)
Square - Monthly for small business website hosting
Good Cigar Company
O2 Fitness Membership
Netflix
Prime
Apple TV+

3 Likes

Yep, I agree fully. Agenda has the best subscription model.

2 Likes

$50 for YNAB? How’d you manage that?

I think it’s worth every penny I pay for it, but I pay a good bit more.

1 Like

We pay $45/year for YNAB. I think it’s just grandfathered pricing.

3 Likes

This thread has been interesting. I definitely don’t think Fantastical comes anywhere close to the value of Ulysses for me, for the same price. After a week with Calendar 366, I’m converted.

4 Likes

@cornchip - I think that must be it. I’ve had it for almost 5 years. And I’m with you, I love it. I if I had to, I’d give up every other subscription before I gave up YNAB.

4 Likes

Seems like new subscribers would pay $84/year ($/7/month). That’s definitely more than I remember it being, but that was several years ago now.

1 Like

Yep. That’s what I’m paying. I definitely think it’s worth it — it’s just that now I’m wishing I’d started with YNAB earlier. :smile:

3 Likes

I would never cancel YNAB. Grandfathered and always budget its renewal :slight_smile:
Glad that he allows long time users to be grandfathered in.

3 Likes

I too am thinking of dropping Adobe CC. I have ON One so may switch to that instead.

On1 is a good photo editor but its print module and asset management are comparatively primitive. IIRC for the last couple of years the updates were yearly, for around $100. Adobe gives you Lightroom (which has excellent image management in addition to editing) plus Photoshop for just a little more. Here are a couple of fair comparisons:

1 Like

I don’t like the monthly bill, but I couldn’t work without Adobe. I use Lightroom every day, Indesign, and Photoshop. They all keep getting better, unlike some of the other subscription-based apps I can think of.

1 Like

What are changes made since Adobe’s switch to the CC subscription model to Photoshop and InDesign that are noticeable besides an improved content aware fill and in PS?
Nothing really comes to my mind for InDesign that didn’t exist in Creative Suite days.

I agree with @bowline, ON1 asset management is way beyond Lightroom’s. They are adding features every year, to be honest.

Upgrade cycle is yearly (for 79$) and there’s a premium offer which give you access to a community and training material and preset for 149$/year (which may or may not interest you - I found that I seldom use such things).

The obvious advantage is that you can skip any upgrade and keep using the version you own, which is one of the reasons I switched to Capture One (the other being I didn’t felt Adobe was doing any good with updating LR Classic, had little use of photoshop - ON1 has some photoshop like features embedded in the app, btw - and am a Fujifilm user and C1-fuji only comes with any new camera - tho I bought the full version to be able to use it with my canon catalog).

1 Like

Was Grammarly worth having? Does it really improve writing? I’m considering subscribing.

1 Like

Good thread. 1Password is a must.

I also have:

• Drafts
  • Apple Music (family plan)
  • additional iCloud storage
  • Google Photos storage
  • Overcast
  • 1Blocker
1 Like

I have a free license through my school and I love it. I didn’t expect to, but the problems it recognizes—like use of passive voice—aren’t caught by anything else. It gives you a point score out of 100 to work towards for clarity and engagement.

The best part: it leads to intrinsic improvement! The documents I’ve reviewed recently have had a better initial score than those of a few months ago.

1 Like

I have a “professional expenses” line item in my work budget, and since writing is an important part of my job, I signed up for Grammarly. I think Grammarly is a good tool. I have not seen anything better that’s for sure, and it’s feedback is always reasonable even if I sometimes disagree with it.

(There are some “problems” that it finds that I don’t consider problems, but stylistic choices, but I understand why she flags them. You have to know what the “rules” are to break them.)

The Mac app is a terrible electron thing, so I mostly just use the website. I also use it with Mailplane for my work email. Once our newsletter is ready to go out, I’ll load it in Mailplane and give it a once-over with Grammarly.

I do wish it was a little more convenient to use, but when I do use it, I almost always find that it has been worth the time/effort.

1 Like