Great subscription apps: what ones do you love?

I bought a lifetime license for ProWritingAid. It performs about as well as Grammarly, for me. PWA works well for my style of writing, and so did Grammarly but I decided to not renew because it was a considerable cost each year.

Both improve writing a lot and if you write professionally these apps save a lot of time.

2 Likes

The best is when it highlights errors from someone you’ve quoted as part of a paper lol.

2 Likes

Consider what happens when you quote something from the Bible that it wants you to change :slight_smile:

Has happened to me several times.

3 Likes

Curious… what type of content on this site what do you use it for?

head to Ebay i got 3 years WSJ for low price -

I don’t subscribe to anything I don’t like, but it took me a long time to think of anything I could truly say I love. These come closest:

MLB At Bat: I listen to at least some of the Cubs radio broadcast nearly every day of the season.

Apple Music: I resisted streaming for a long time because I didn’t think I needed it. But my already-huge music library has gotten much huger since I signed up. That’s been a pleasant surprise.

Lynda.com: I’ve learned so much, especially when I was paying for it. Now that it’s free through work, I kind of take it for granted.

Steve Dahl podcast: @drdrang is probably the only one here who knows who that is, but I’ve been listening to him for more than 40 years. Still makes me laugh every day. The app is an abomination, but I’m paying for the content.

1 Like

You may want to try the Hemingway Editor for the Mac. It is highly regarded. They do not have an iOS version but I just downloaded it to try it. It does not require a subscription.

2 Likes

I use it pretty heavily, not as much as I ought to, but a lot. I recently used it to help check my mum’s CV for her and found quite a few places where commas had gone missing and both of us managed to get the wrong spelling for a word! It’s not perfect, but it’s a great way to avoid silly mistakes (like focussed :woman_facepalming:) :wink:

2 Likes

Dropped

• Overcast
  • Mind Node

And several others

1 Like

Day One ( My nephew died at 17 years old 2 years ago. The app has so many memories for me The On This Day feature is amazing. The book printing feature was great to print out a book with just my memories with Ethan, or the book I printed of my Lab that passed away last year with just entries about her. )
1 Password ( I get this with Eero plus. Still worth the money. Hands down the best password manager)
OmniFocus for the Web ( One of the best Task Managers out there. I only pay for the web subscription.)
Carrot Weather ( I actually find the smack talking hilarious )
Ulysses (Just a great all around writing app. )
Drafts ( In my opinion the best quick note and do something with it app out there. )

3 Likes

Current

• iCloud 50GB
  • 1Password

Reconsidering current subscriptions

• Drafts
  • Overcast
  • Grammarly
  • Headspace

Considering

• SetApp
  • YNAB
1 Like

The webpage for Building a Second Brain is 7000+ words long. This seems to be the modus operandi for a lot of online courses. Wear them down, then they’ll pay.
This was my experience with Blanc’s Focus Course as well.
Both play on the psychological phenomenon perceived scarcity. The videos and teaching materials are sitting on their webservers at all times, but customers are only admitted to the program in cohorts. If you have easy access to the (perhaps years-old) material, it’s not worth $500 - $1200 or more.

10 Likes

Tony, I “know” Steve Dahl. I recall the Disco Records Inferno at one of the baseball parks! I didn’t realize that he’s still around.

Yeah, he’s been doing a daily podcast for about a dozen years, and for much of that time was also doing a daily radio show. Now it’s podcast only. That’s what I listen to on my drive home from work every day.

2 Likes

LastPass, which I find very good though Mac users tend to prefer One Password.
Ulysses
Confide messaging app
BackBlaze

2 Likes

It’s primarily productivity, GTD, and skills for knowledge management.

I thought it already came with your SetApp subscription.

1 Like

Lynda.com is sometimes free at your local library as well. Just search for “Lynda” on your library website’s catalog search box and it’ll take you to a site where you input your library card number and can access the site for free.

5 Likes

+1 for Hemingway as a non creepy way to get good writing guidance. In a former life, I worked for museums and we would always pass our label copy through Hemingway.

3 Likes

Anyone know how Hemingway compares to Grammarly? I get the latter for free, but I’d prefer to use whichever one results in better writing!

1 Like