GTD app suggestion

I’ll chime in with another option: Remember the Milk. It’s fairly lightweight but a full GTD capable app. Apps for iPhone and Apple Watch are very solid. Mac app or web app, Windows, Linux, Android available too.

4 Likes

The sync times are also quite fast for me and have a fairly large database. OF’s sync has been rock-solid since the day it was released, IMHO.

2 Likes

This is really great advice. I have found that folks that are already familiar with GTD and have created the system’s habits, tend to have no trouble using OmniFocus. I might be wrong, but I have found that folks less familiar with GTD have a harder time implementing OF for project and task management.

1 Like

also @anon85228692 and @airwhale:
Do you always keep OmniFocus running? I only open task manager to add task/project/grocery list, then quitting the app right away. Then I will just rely on the app’s notification on mac and ios. My experience 3 months ago when I tried OF with OmniSync was the sync needs at least 10 seconds even when I just added or modified 1 task.

Things Cloud can catch up with my habit of quitting the app after adding task. Given the feedback from you all, maybe I will consider trying OF again. Maybe later. OF is very expensive, but I really want to like it :sob:

1 Like

Yup, I do (I keep adding stuff to it all day long with a system-wide keyboard shortcut and I have a KM macro to open search and access stuff quickly). It’s my dashboard so I’m piloting everything from there and it’s the first app I open :slightly_smiling_face: Sync is usually very fast even on the phone. You could maybe contact support (they’re extremely helpful) to try and troubleshoot slow sync times.

I tend to think of a system as a series of habits to adopt. In the Zen To Done workflow, there are 10 habits. Practice the first habit until you’ve got it down pat. Then work on adopting the next habit.

It’s hard trying to do adopt all the habits at one time. Focus on one and then move on. Many of us fall off the GTD bandwagon because we fail to adopt the habits such as capturing, reviewing, organizing, etc.

The author of Zen To Done, Leo Babauta, argues that GTD is a series of habit changes.

1 Like

This might be what’s gumming up the sync. I keep OF running (in fact, it launches at startup on my Mac) as I use the quick entry pane throughout the day to capture tasks.

I do the same.

You have to give OF time to sync after the change. If you quit too fast it won’t sync. I also keep my OF system running on my main mac all the time. Where I don’t keep it runnig is iOS devices. Those I boot, wait for the sync then use then quit again.

I don’t use Omnifocus Ssync but my own WebDAV server. However 10 seconds seems pretty reasonable to me depending on the speed of your network. Think about what it’s doing. It has to check every single item on both devices and reconcile the changes that have happened on both of them and then deal with any dueling changes somehow. I have about 200 projects in Omnifocus so that’s a lot to check. And I regularly archive stuff off of OF. In fact I do an archive every week at the end of my weekly review.

2 Likes