Happy iOS 13 Launch day :)

Got to spend that coin to get the new watch faces, yo!

1 Like

Imagine if you were one of those who spent $10,000 on the Series 0 Edition and you don’t even get new watch faces. I’d pissed at Apple.

1 Like

Does anyone know why in iOS 13 apps now ask for access to Bluetooth? And should you allow access or not?

1 Like

New privacy feature and most of the time, you should say no. In fact, for music or audio apps, they don’t need Bluetooth permission as the playback is via the system, not their app. They use Bluetooth to track your info or location.

3 Likes

Apple wants you to know what some apps are doing.

If an app does not need Bluetooth, you should not allow it.

Bluetooth is very often misused to track users without telling them. So, if you are in doubt, disallow the usage and maybe even ask the developer, why she or he thinks that Bluetooth is needed in order to use the app. You can turn it back on, if you should have second thoughts later on.

First, I thought that I need to enable Bluetooth in order to use my AirPods. Yeah, silly me. I know… :slight_smile:

More on that topic:

1 Like

I’ve encountered a strange bug trying to use iA Writer with iOS 13. Any time I click on any file, I get the error:

The file couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to open it.

You don’t have permission.

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

iA Writer hasn’t been updated since iOS 13 was released (last update on 12 August 2019, see ‎iA Writer on the App Store), which means that bugs aren’t unsurprising. However, the error message is bizarre, because it refers to the macOS UI!

2 Likes

Upgraded to iOS 13 even though I was going to wait until 13.1. That said it seems good so far but I haven’t gotten a chance to dig into all the features. What was weird was that I had to install on the device after backing it up as it downloaded on my computer but wouldn’t install. Wish I could tweak allowing dark mode in Messages but that’s a personal thing.

1 Like

Yeah I had the same experience with downloading but not installing from my Mac. So far it’s been rock solid if rather unexciting.

1 Like

I’m very impressed so far! After a few days of using iOS 13, I’ve still to have a single issue. I also upgraded to iPadOS at the same time and it has also been all good so far (touch wood!).

I didn’t think I’d like Arcade much as I’m more of a console gamer, but I’ve been really enjoying the new games, especially on iPadOS. Playing with a decent controller does make it much more fun than tapping on a screen. I’ll probably be keeping the subscription when the trial ends.

2 Likes

I love iOS 13, but I do have issues:

• Mail: after an opened mail is being deleted, nothing is being shown instead of showing the encapsulated mail folder.

• Mail: Spam: after deleting all Spam mails from the Spam folder, they end up in the trash folder and have to be deleted a second time over there. Why? Why? Spam is Spam. 3 taps are enough to tell the device that I am sure that I want to delete those Spam mails in the Spam folder. Why is it being preserved in the trash? That is crazy… :wink:

• Mail: bottom menu bar… Well… :arrow_right: I don’t like the Mail update in iOS 13

• Occasional UI glitches in the Settings app when entering a setting.

• Siri is not able to process shortcuts on my HomePods (because of the messed up OS release schedule). Siri reads with a terrible German accent (because the settings are German) the English error message: “Shortcuts are currently not available.”

• ForScore: forScore | iPadOS 13 Advisory (updated) (I will install it anyway, but still…)

This list can be continued… :frowning:

What I like about iOS 13:

• the swipe keyboard

• my parked car shows up on Maps again (it stopped working for a few months ago and I was not able to get it working although I even restored my iPhone)

• its snappiness (so many things just feel fresh and fast)

• iPadOS: I am so looking forward to tomorrow! :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I thought the deleting mail thing was just me having brain fade again.
:see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

Is iCloud folder sharing in ioS13? I heard it was postponed but can’t seem to find any info about it.

Nope. iCloud Folder Sharing has been deferred until a future version.

3 Likes

Hahah.

Right now, I can’t launch apps on iOS 13 except for by Siri.

Springboard won’t switch between home screens and attempts to open recent apps are ignored.

Rebooting. C’mon 13.1!

I have had a few freezes since upgrading to 13.0. I have another minor, weird issue. The Apple Watch app., doesn’t allow me to rearrange my watch faces after clicking “edit” unless I close the app and reopen it. As I say, minor but I hope it is addressed in 13.1.

Thankful to have none of these issues mentioned yet. Maybe 13.1 will break everything for me. :wink:

1 Like

I have installed last night ios13 on my iPhone XS. Working fine until know.

Thanks for all the reports of your experience with 13!

In a feat of uncommon self-restraint, I keep running the most stable version of iOS yet. 12.4.1 will serve me well until a few point releases are out. Too much going on in my life right now to deal with unexpected behavior from an operating system…

4 Likes

iOS 13 and Car Play seems to break Waze sometimes. So, yeah, probably a good idea to let the dust settle a bit !

1 Like

Anybody having trouble with messages not disappearing when in another app for the banner? They linger and my settings don’t have that option selected.