Happy iOS 13 Launch day :)

I just saw a setting in the Wallpaper section. There is a “Dark Appearance Dims Wallpaper” toggles which dims your wallpaper depending on your ambient light. That’s pretty cool and thoughtful!

3 Likes

I’m big fan of it so far. Just trying to get quick and accurate on the swipe typing. Love dark mode. Love the new layout for actions in Mail. All the little things so far are great. Also; no bugs yet.

3 Likes

A few things I like:

1. somehow, I can attach memoji as stickers in WhatsApp… that’s really a huge thing, to be honest, as it made it very personal.

2. CarPlay is much, much more responsive… the speed of it in my old SE vs iOS 12 CarPlay is noticeable.

3. I really like the calendar in Dark Mode. Those neon colors are really nice.

2 Likes

I agree, Dark Mode is done very tastefully across the system as a whole.

My iPhone XS Max appears to have died today! The replacement arrived this morning - at work while I’m in Crete! We shall see if it’s actually dead later (currently it’s hot, the screen and buttons don’t respond, and my Apple Watch doesn’t know it’s there)… At least my Apple Watch is working?

3 Likes

So far so good. Dark mode is nice and CarPlay is a wonderful update. Getting the map on a side and other info on the right side is super nice. And when I came home it automatically showed my garage door. One press and it was open.

Of course I renamed my garage door ‘Pod Bay Door’!

1 Like

Aside: why was it impossible to create a high quality gif? The degradation from converting video to GIF is awful!

2 Likes

I am waiting for 13.1.

Very strange! Were you running beta on it? Using dual sim / eSIM by chance?

1 Like

So far, into my very short dive into IOS 13, here is what I have noticed.

Volume on my Plantronics ear piece is MUCH louder. Yep, I turned it down on the ear piece as low as it will go, and as low as it will go on the iPhone. I don’t mind the loudness. Have hearing loss anyway.

Added a new business contact in my IOS Contacts. I like to use their business logo for the image. Attempted to add logo, chose Vivid. Nothing has happened for over fifteen minutes. The “Done” is grayed out. No big deal. I am sure that they know about it.

So far, I am really enjoying the update! :+1:t2:

“Paying work” behind me for the rest of the day. So now it is time to explore IOS 13. :tada::tada:

I was going to hold out until Monday for 13.1, but setting up my Series 5 Apple Watch requires iOS 13.

3 Likes

No searches return any results in Photos. Presumably it’s gonna reindex everything but it’s a bit unexpected and annoying.

update: came back in a few hours

1 Like

I didn’t use the betas, so experienced the new Photos app for the first time yesterday. Scrolling through the well chosen photos in the year timeline and watching my children grow younger was an emotional moment. I know it was designed to accomplish that, and it’s effective. Wow.

3 Likes

I turned dark mode on for a few minutes and turned it off after being blinded by a few apps that did not support it. It’s still too much like dark-mode skins for WinAmp, Linux music players and Rockbox. :frowning:

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to flag email now? – It moved away from an easy-to-use, one-click, when reading a message(!).

Why change something that was not broken?

They removed (or moved) the ability to flag an email FROM the open email. I really liked the ability to be reading an email on my phone and think, “Hmmm. This is important. I’ll flag it now (before I forget) and deal with it on my computer, or be able to easily come back to it.”

Now flagging looks like it’s an ordeal.

I see I can close it and carefully drag left; then flag it (or accidentally delete it, if I drag too vigorously… This is why I have avoided this option for years!).

Or, I can close the email, long press it, and choose “Mark;” then Flag, Mark as Unread, or move to Junk. More steps to do the same thing? That is not very Apple-like.

Am I missing an easier way?

Thanks!!

I like Dark Mode enough that I’ll put up with this (and some other issues with it) but why Apple didn’t adjust their own app icons is odd.

I don’t believe iOS can dynamically change app icons when switching modes which would’ve been a nice add. If so, Apple could’ve kept their original icons for Light Mode and created a subdued version for Dark. At this point, Apple doesn’t include any alternate app icons so when we’re in the Dark we’re stuck with fluorescent green (Messages, Phone) and bright white (Reminders, Safari, Home, Calendar) for example.

It is still available on the messages list by setting your preference here: Settings > Mail > Swipe Options

[Edit: hit save too early] When you have a message open (not looking at your list of messages), flagging requires two taps instead of one: 1. tap the arrow in the bottom-right; 2. then click Flag.

2 Likes

Both dual sim (Hong Kong model) and beta! Thankfully it cooled down throughout the day and plugging it in seems to have got it going again…

3 Likes

I’m running iOS 13 on my iPhone XS MAX and there is one bug I’ve spotted: It appears the App Store is telling me I have one more app update pending than I have.

But that’s not a biggie.

I’m really looking forward to 13.1 and iPad OS 13. My assumption is the latter is equivalent to the former, but with the iPad OS enhancements we all know about.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to reading any insights you’ll have about the S5. I’m not quite sold on thinking I need one just yet!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Three exclamation points because I could not find the new “home” for the button.

Whew!

I can (sort of) put up with eve additional tap. At least I don’t have to leave the message.

I’m no good at the partial slide/tap flagged method.

Thanks again!

— Tim

I still recommend setting your message list swipe preference to Flag. (Settings > Mail > Swipe Options > Swipe Left > Flag).

Because…with this setting, Flag will be one of the three buttons available when you swipe left in email reading mode too:

Then it’s only a swipe and a tap to flag an email, instead of two taps which might be a touch faster.

Note the swipe method does not allow you to set the flag color like the arrow menu/two-tap method does. (You can change an email’s flag color through the arrow menu later if needed.)

1 Like