Has Anyone Tired The Cubox App?

Has anyone tried Cubox? It looks like an interesting concept and app but my spidey senses are going off about it and I feel like it’s just an app to steal my info.

Never heard of it (not that it means anything), but it looks like a Chinese developer called Odd Lab that has no other apps. Lots of prestige according to their site, but it has been around for a year. Personally I am skeptical of anything touting AI.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. I did a quick search on it if it’s trustworthy and nothing came up. I’ll probably drive a little deeper into it.

This is the part that bothers me. It has 185 reviews, yet they post this:

Are they saying those organizations use it? That definitely smells like BS to me.

Agreed

twenty characters

I suspect that most sites that play this logo game consider their app or service in use by these brands as soon as anyone with an email at one of those domains signs up for a trial.

1 Like

I’m more concerned about it being a Chinese developer than I am that it is incorporating AI.

2 Likes

In the PC world a lot of the major hardware companies are Chinese, so I end up using their software a lot. Arguably, the best eReaders are Chinese companies (BOOX and Supernote). I have computer games by Chinese companies (heck Tencent owns a large percentage of Epic, and I have their store on my machine). I don’t think Chineses company equals bad. It is a factor, but not one that necessarily scares me.

AI on the other hand is the latest buzzword. Everyone is using it now for everything and most of what I have seen of has it been very meh. So yet another company revolutionizing the world with AI, sure.

I don’t entirely disagree, but having been to China three times, I know first-hand how ubiquitous and insidious surveillance is. I don’t trust Chinese apps to not share information with the Chinese government; it’s endemic to their culture. That said, I don’t always trust American tech, but I trust it more than I do Chinese tech.

1 Like

I tried it and thought it was fine. I didn’t stay with it, though. I went with another similar bookmarking/storage app for a while and then stopped using that, too. They just didn’t have a place in my workflow.

2 Likes