Has anyone tried MultCloud for cloud-to-cloud backup?

I am re-evaluating my backup strategy as I am becoming increasingly reliant on cloud storage and web apps for mission-critical data.

Has anyone tried MultCloud? This is a service which allows direct cloud-to-cloud backup among Gdrive, OneDrive, DropBox, Box, Evernote, iCloud, and just about every other cloud service one can imagine.

There are some good reviews on Reddit but not much discussion about it overall on the web. I am puzzled by their pricing though. Mostly they have typical monthly and annual pricing. But there is also an offer for $249 one-time payment for lifetime unlimited storage. That seems too good to be true and an impossibly impractical business model for them.

Is this legit?

I was in your situation a while ago and tried this app.

In my experience it doesn’t work well. If you have small data it might be okay but in my case any folder greater than 1 gb failed.

Interesting thread as we’re looking or a good backup option for Google Drive. Currently thinking of having a MacMini that downloads rather than syncs all files and then hooking that up to Backblaze.

1 Like

That’s what I do. I use Google Drive for Desktop to mirror my Google Drive files to an external SSD on my M1 MBA. Then they, along with all my other files, are backed up hourly to Backblaze B2 by Arqbackup.

In addition I manually download a few important Google Docs and Sheets (in MS Word and Excel formats) after they are updated. And finally I have a scheduled download of my Google data (including mail, etc) in standard formats once a month using takeout.google.com.

Google Takeout will download your data once every two months for six months. I have two jobs scheduled so I can get a download once/month, and reminders to renew the schedules every six months.

Not a perfect solution but it works for me and allows me to use my iPad Pro as my primary computer.

Thanks @WayneG Need to have another look at Takeout. What does to do with fils that are in G Docs or Sheets as opposed to Word or Excel?

1 Like

Takeout is designed to allow users to move all their data from Google to another service provider.

It downloads office files in Microsoft formats, email as MBOX, contacts as vcard, calendars as iCalendar. Google Keep notes are downloaded as HTML and also json.

I occasionally select all my (723) Keep notes, copy them to a single Google Doc, and download them as a MS Word file. I normally don’t include my photos in a takeout download because I also keep them in Apple Photos.

1 Like

I download everything to local for a backblaze backup, but also have pCloud backup my other cloud services and that works ok.