Has Evernote progressed enough to use?

Or are they pomodoro sessions? :tomato::tomato::tomato:

8 Likes

I agree. UpNote is a great replacement for Evernote. I bought it a few months ago (on your recommendation, I think), and as long as UpNote is around I will not go back to Evernote.

So why?!?
If you find a workflow that works for you, that is great! Go with it!
And if something does not fit for your situation, donā€™t waste time with it.
It is not a kind of a religious question (or at least it should not be) what your workflow is like, and what you are using for that, or not!
The important think is, that it works, and it will most probably not work the same way to any other person in the world.
We all can just take a look around the fence to see, what is around us, and if we can use some of that stuff for our own needs, but nobody should ever think he/she has the solution for everything, or it is something a third person could be blamed for, if he/she uses some other approach to keep the world running.

(And while I use the quote of @AppleGuy as a point to start what I just wrote, it is not especially meant to address him with that!)

2 Likes

FWIW: The two features I miss most after moving from Evernote to Bear are the web clipper and forwarding emails to EN. Iā€™d have to think it through, but I am not sure I miss anything else. Those are two great features.

I have two reasons for not using Apple Notes. The first is that Iā€™ve had problems with it syncing (to the point where I found it unusable). The second is that when I clip a webpage, I just get the URL in Apple Notes (maybe Iā€™m missing something); I like to see the actual page, which Evernote does superbly and UpNote does pretty well.

The latest versions of Evernote are a joy to use on M1 Macs. The transition to v10 made vocal detractors out of a lot of people, but as I had no ties to what is now considered Evernote Legacy, I never understood the hate. I am very happy with the current state of the app. Itā€™s not perfect, but itā€™s great for my needs, and the subscription model means that the app will continue to be maintained and improved.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s also no great exit strategy from Apple Notes. Your notes are stored in such a way that makes it hard to move to other programs.

Iā€™ve heard people say the same of Evernote, but you can export entire notebooks at a time and import to apps like Apple Notes etc. Iā€™ve done this a few times without any major issues but of course, YMMV.

2 Likes

Upnote has markdown, more consistent formatting, themes, auto backups, cross note linking, better export options, faster sync, better web clipping, looks better.

Also, it does not use my iCloud storage which is a plus for me. I mostly store archival/educational stuff in it and not personal docs so does not matter.

I agree, there is not a great strategy and this is one of the drawbacks of Apple Notes. But, one can use the Exporter app to export all ANs to markdown. I do this monthly as a means of archiving my notes. But, I do not use AN for storing webpages and the likeā€”I use Finder or DEVONthink for this. I use AN for notes but many do contain attached PDFs, etc. A downside of AN is that attachments are not exported using Exporterā€”the attachments remain in AN in the notes to which they are attached. The only solution is to download the notes from iCloudā€”in which case the attachments are included along with a PDF of oneā€™s notes. Again, not ideal but a combination of the iCloud download plus Exporter for the notes retrieves everything.

My frustration will of these note apps is that they each of their missing elements and frustrations. For my needs, Apple Notes, while adequate, would be nearly perfect, especially with the upcoming new features, if one could export the notes as text bundles or something similar.

1 Like

a couple of reasons

• eliable sync , cross devices and cross platforms
  • markdown support
  • share web line of notes
  • web clipping
  • ability to export notes to varous formats
  • cross notes reference , a bit like wiki-links
  • last but not least, $20 for lifetime licence

Tried leaving Evernote but kept coming back. I note that the feedback on the new apps is mixed - either the sync or speed works or it doesnā€™t. Iā€™m probably in the latter category and struggle with searching content in the new apps.

I looked at upnote but the performance feedback is also not all great. Their subreddit has many complaints. Also the could storage is limited to 20MB which means I canā€™t keep my larger PDFs. The search seems to be an issue as well.

I guess the elephant in the room will stay.

I suggest not going my subreddits for any product. Happy customers wonā€™t go there and post about it. Unhappy ones are the noisiest. Same with Evernote and Bear subreddits if you check them.

You could compress large pdf. Iā€™ve done that in the past without losing any quality. 20MB is a very large size for a PDF already but maybe you have a lot of images in them.

Evernote is good, expensive but good. If upnote improves its web clipper. Iā€™m out of Evernote. Not paying 7.99/month for a notes app.

2 Likes

Thank you. Does search work well in Upnote? I know it doesnā€™t have OCR.

Search is pretty good. Not sure about OCR. Have not tried it. I think UpNote is free to use for a few days, so try it out. They can easily import from Evernote, so worth a shot. You would be surprised with the amount of features it has.

1 Like

If UpNote is selling a lifetime license for 20$ and is also using Firebase, I say that the bottom line will not add up for them. Also not very sure about scaling a Firebase database deployment for millions of users.

2 Likes

Interesting, although I donā€™t like subscriptions, Iā€™m happy to pay for apps Iā€™m in daily. I changed my mind on what Iā€™d spend on a notes app when I realised that notes are not an afterthought, but one of the most important aspects of my work and life. To have a good solid app available everywhere, that will capture anything is gold indeed.

I must say I enjoy the rich text interface of Evernote (Iā€™m on the trial). The constraints of markdown apps is gone and thatā€™s been really great for me. Sync seems a bit slow, so I need to check that out. Iā€™m following PARA and finding it very refreshing and helpful.

4 Likes

Curious to know about your experience with this. Iā€™ve been using Obsidian lately and thinking about how to go about exporting from Evernote and Obsidian. Iā€™m just worried about any issues I would encounter, length of process (thousands of Evernotes) and if it would slow down Obsidian or cause problems.

Not sure how good Obsidian will handle the non text content, like images. When I was using Evernote, one of the best features was to take an image from the phone and store it as image that will also OCR by Evernote

1 Like

I must be non deserving of this great app as I am struggling with their sync and search. The feedback is either super good or super bad. I wonder sometimes if we are talking about the same Evernote :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I played with it for a few minutes and got the lifetime. The price is good and it seems nifty. Native apps are a joy to use. Thank you

1 Like