Has Evernote progressed enough to use?

Not from Evernote but FWIW I have over 4000 items so far in my Obsidian vault and performance is just fine.

1 Like

Maybe this can give some hints

I think there are two issues with the Evernote pricing complaints. The first is that an app like UpNote cannot survive forever with a $20 one-time purchase. Thatā€™s just not the reality of software in 2022, and if you think thatā€™s the case, youā€™re in for a rude awakening. Either the software will eventually be abandoned and will stop working (thus necessitating a move to another app), or newer versions will require subsequent purchases, or it will move to a subscription model. The $20 purchase may feel like a lifetime purchase, but in the long run, it isnā€™t.

The other issue is that Evernote is much more than just a ā€œnotesā€ app. The differentiating factors may not be of value to you, but itā€™s far more than just an app to type notes in, and they are working to add even more powerful features over time (thanks to the subscriptions).

6 Likes

Although new to NotePlan, I donā€™t regret paying $60 for a yearā€™s subscription. It seems worth it to me for what Iā€™m getting out of it. And the kicker is, there are even more features than what Iā€™ve learned to use so far.

1 Like

I prefer an app that doesnā€™t just rely on iCloud for cloud storage. Evernote works the best from that angle except the issues with the apps that I keep struggling with. Note plan looks good but doesnā€™t offer cloud storage of itā€™s own.

I kinda agree with your narrative and I stated the same in my previous comments on this thread. The thing is, since UpNote has great export and backup options built-in (and hands free), you can easily move to another app, without much effort. All notes are in MD.

I see three scenarios (could be more)

1. Worst case, letā€™s say the app works for 2 more years, itā€™s still a lot of money saved.
  2. Less best case, they move to subscription, and the existing lifetime users wonā€™t get new features, but can continue using the app with existing features, which is a lot of features. Iā€™m would be super happy even with this.
  3. Best case, they move to subscription but the existing lifetime supporters can continue using all features. (some apps have done this in the past)

$20 is like peanuts compared to what other note taking apps are charging.

I agree with @svsmailus to some extent that note taking apps are essential these days, and everyoneā€™s workflow depends on them. But to me, it still does not justify $7.99/month just for sync.

The subscription industry tries to convince us saying, ā€œHey, itā€™s less than two cups of coffee a monthā€, but over time, it adds up, and we end up with 10 services charging $7/month. How can note taking apps like Agenda, KeepIt, DevonThink offer one time purchases and otherā€™s canā€™t? Iā€™m fine with apps limiting the functionality to only the features it had when you bought the app and, not giving me new features. If I want them, I can buy them, but donā€™t have to. That would make future app versions much more feature rich, rather than some apps just charging subscriptions for years without any new/important feature roll outs.

Thatā€™s a limited view of what the subscription provides, though. I get more than just sync out of my subscription, but I realize that not every user will value the same features as I do.

They donā€™t, or at least thatā€™s not the full truth of the matter. DEVONThink 3 is between $100 and $500 and that doesnā€™t give you free upgrades for life. Agenda is also not a one-time purchase unless youā€™re ok to go without new features. KeepIt has a subscription, but also charges for upgrades of the non-sub purchase. In my opinion, Evernote pricing plans compare favorably. DevonThink Pro is closer to Evernote than Agenda or KeepIt in terms of features, but at $200 for the Pro licenseā€¦Iā€™m not sure youā€™re saving a ton vs. Evernote.

And donā€™t forget that Evernote provides something better than a one-time purchase ā€“ a free plan!

To each their own, though. Iā€™m just happy that thereā€™s a lot of competition pushing things forward in this space. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This! Iā€™m perfectly fine with the existing features. Apps like Reeder, Hazel are so good, I donā€™t need anything else from them. Maybe a couple of versions out, I might upgrade by paying if I need all those features. Same for DevonThink, donā€™t need new features, but no subscriptions please. This is because I donā€™t always consume the entire bandwidth. e.g. Evernote gives 10GB/month of uploads, which is very difficult to use up in a note taking app, at least for me. Iā€™m just too Allergic to subscriptions for some reason, except YouTube :wink:

Thatā€™s what I plan to use one I clip the articles I am looking at right now. Earlier they used to have the ā€œPlusā€ plan which was $2.99/month for 1GB, which was perfect, but they sunseted it.

Well put :slight_smile:

Having used the new Evernote for about 4 days every day, thereā€™s definitely more than sync to it. They really are turning it into a fully fledged app. You can manage your tasks (it pulls them out of all your notes), set dates, attach anything, audio record. The thing Iā€™m liking is the rich text environment. I can easily format my notes any way I like, I can link them (although this is a little clumsy). And of course the web clipper works really well.

I understand the aversion to subscriptions as I have that myself, the problem developers are facing is the fast pace of change with technology. Even with Agenda, if you donā€™t buy the upgrades you are getting their development to keep the app going for free. When ios 16 comes out it needs development, when Ventura is released it needs development, when APIā€™s change, and the like. This makes subscriptions necessary.

If you paid for an app once it it received no more development folks would not be happy.

1 Like

And itā€™s great sync, because it syncs anything you throw and also indexes and OCRs the content.

Also, it has its own storage infrastructure, for the good and the bad. The good: you donā€™t need an additional subscription for Dropbox or iCloud Drive, and you are only limited by monthly upload bandwith (i believe it is still like this). The bad: of course you donā€™t really own what is stored there. Periodically backing up .enex files seems like a good idea.

1 Like

I agree. Evernote is great, like I said in my earlier post. I personally just donā€™t use those features like recording/tasks etc. although they are good and useful for others.

Not every OS version needs dev changes. Breaking changes rare, so keeping the same app with no dev would work fine.

I just need a good editor, syncing, ability to get data out and, some automation tools.

PS: Although I donā€™t use Agenda, I got it for $7.

But most do. The majority of apps in their release notes have specific updates for os version upgrades.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not clear on what you mean by ā€œcloud storage of its ownā€ or why it would be needed.

All my NotePlan documents are stored as Markdown-formatted plain text files on my Mac. NotePlan uses CloudKit, a private cloud database provided by Apple, to synchronize my notes between my Mac and my iPhone. I primarily use NotePlan on my Mac, but I love seeing the exact same data and formatting on my iPhone!

2 Likes

I canā€™t see the advantage to spread my data between several rather small companies, without a real control on what happens to my data?!

Having a tool that only supports CloudKit sync means that you cannot easily use that app in non-Apple platforms, thatā€™s a fair reason imho. But beng Apple-centric myself, I prefer Cloudkit enabled apps: it means the developers are not solving the hard stuff on sync.

1 Like

But, got a little slicker with 10.39.6-mac update! :grinning:

Drag a note into the editor and a link is created; copy a url, highlight text, paste and a link is created.

Only if you are restricted to Apple ecosystem

But you are not going to tell me, that there is anybody not ā€œrestricted to Apple ecosystemā€, donā€™t you!?

The world is changing by the day. Nothing is certain. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If I use things cross-platform, that necessarily means my device usage is not restricted to the Apple ecosystem, no? Also, Iā€™ve found iCloud to be unreliable a fair bit. Not enough to exclude anything using CloudKit, but cross-platform sync is important to quite a few people.

2 Likes