Has Evernote progressed enough to use?

Thanks for the info. I’ve never experienced any crashes at all so that’s a new one to me.

Ditto for syncing messages flying by. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any at all so maybe I’m not understanding what you mean? I do see the notices abut the plug-ins that won’t work in Mobile but it’s fast. I can’t read them before they are gone and I’m up and running.

I actually LIKE number 2. I don’t want my list of recent notes to sync with the desktop. I have a set that I always look at on my iPad that is differen than what I do on the desktop so I actually like that it doesn’t try to put me at the exact same state.

Could you explain number 4 more? My argument about the side bars is that I can’t change the size of them but I don’t seem to hav any issues with navigating using them jus thtat on my desktop version I have them made much smaller so they don’t take up all my screen.

You are speaking my language.

I have gone back to Evernote as well. It’s so easy to get stuff in there, which is the one spot I need to look for stuff. Either Evernote, Agenda for some projets, and then Reminders. Sometimes I may even put a note in Evernote that says “look in this file folder” when it makes more sense.

Also, it’s way easier for me to use because I am no longer teaching, which is where a ton of notes came from, particularly student information, which I never felt totally comfortable keeping in Evernote as it never fully says it is FERPA proof that I could find.

Right now I’m using ToDoIst. I keep switching between that and OmniFocus, but my needs are so simple that OmniFocus feels like taking a Lear jet to the grocery store.

I have not yet fully embraced using the tasks feature in Evernote, but now that they have recurring tasks, I may move there.

If you’re interested, Stacey Harmon teaches how to use Evernote for GTD.

1 Like

I agree with this. For my needs, I wonder if DEVONthink is TOO capable? My needs are much simpler.

The other thing is, I just don’t like the way DEVONthink looks. Shallow, for sure, but there you go. :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, can’t argue that! :grin:

1 Like

This is me. I love the idea of deep thoughts and serendipitous connections, but that’s just not how my brain works.

When I export from Apple Notes using Exporter, my embedded PDFs actually are exported into a folder called “attachments.”

You are correct, I stand gratefully corrected. Thank you. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yep. I’m 100% back in Evernote. Craft is not the right app after all.

It feels good to admit this. Weight off my shoulders.

I’m sorry for ever leaving you lovely green elephant.

7 Likes

It doesn’t have to look bad. I think I’ve done a fairly good job of customizing the UI to the point where the aesthetics don’t make me want to throw it in the trash.

2 Likes

I agree and you’ve done a great job there! It’s more the editor windows that are missing some good aesthetic.

1 Like

@ibuys - that’s it with Devonthink isn’t? It’s got the brains but not the beauty. It reminds me of when I was younger and tinkered with cars. I’d have a car painted in primer and looked like crap but handled great and would be faster than anything. :grinning:

And lets not get started on the monochrome iOS app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, that does look much better. Out of the box there are so many buttons and icons I don’t even know where to look.

I know what you mean. One of the first things I do is get rid of all the buttons in the toolbar. Too much UI can be overwhelming.

1 Like

I know this has been discussed/debated here and especially in the DT forums but do you import or index your files in DT and why did you choose your method?

I import everything. With everything imported I can easily do an end-to-end encrypted sync between two Macs and my iPhone. It’s surprising how useful having my entire research and document archive available on my phone is. (i.e. “How much was that last water bill? Is that a big increase? etc…”)

Also, I’ve seen odd behavior that I didn’t understand with indexing.

I like the idea of importing and I’ve experimented with it. My slight hang up is that it is more cumbersome to access research files via DTTG than in the Finder when I use the iPad for writing. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps I should just adjust?

Not really, I’ve never been able to use an iPad successfully for productive tasks. I don’t currently own one, although I’ve thought about picking up an M1 iPad for research and writing. The new fully functional external monitor support is definitely attractive.

As they say “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” I wouldn’t advise anyone move away from a system that works for them. DT works for me, and I’ve gone back and forth quite a bit, but I always wind up missing features that DT has that are not available elsewhere. That’s not to say that it works for you though.

Thanks. Because I use the iPad a good bit for extensive writing, Indexing seems to work for me. It gives me the flexibility of getting to my research in multiple ways without invoking DT while also giving me all of DT’s features when needed.

1 Like

I’ve recently discovered that you can access the DT files in the files app. In your files locations you can add DT and the contents are displayed. You can also edit the files with other apps and changes are synced back.

4 Likes