Has Evernote progressed enough to use?

Wow, I did not know that was possible! I’m going to experiment a little with that. If that works as advertised that could be the proverbial “game changer“ overused cliché for my workflow. :slightly_smiling_face:. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

@ibuys Do you take notes in DevonThink in Markdown, rich text, or some other format?

My note taking process is ridiculous and probably shouldn’t be used by anyone, including me. I create a new Markdown file in DEVONthink and then use ⌘⇧O to open the file in BBEdit, where I actually do all my typing. But hey, it works for me :smiley:.

1 Like

A good description of my own notetaking process—completely different from yours but with its own baroqueness.

2 Likes

Given the relatively poor design of the DEVONthink editor that makes perfect sense. I may try that same thing except use iA Writer.

If it ain’t baroque….:joy:

7 Likes

Yes indeed, BBedit all the way. I love that app.

2 Likes

All my research is imported in DevonThink, FWIW. I’ve not had any issues opening DTTG to find what I’m looking for. I do a lot of my reading and note-taking on my iPad so I’m in DTTG a lot.

I’m not as keen on finding files on my iPhone, but that’s mostly my fault I think. I don’t go in DTTG on iPhone as much, which means when I need it I always have to wait while it syncs everything it’s missed since I last opened it.

I tried Obsidian before and only lasted about a week, but am currently a couple of days into using it again, this time with a sync plan. Mostly because I’ve read too many forum posts recently about note-taking and had a crisis of confidence about how useable my DT notes are without Obsidian’s shiny interface. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: I am basically a software marketer’s dream customer.

1 Like

And I am probably their worst customer–“he hates subscriptions and is willing to minimize and to settle, among his many other customer faults.” :slightly_smiling_face:

As to Obsidian, I don’t hate it, given its flexibility with plugins, speed and ok design, I think the developers have and are doing a remarkable job. But as I’ve noted elsewhere, I do not do a lot of “linking my thinking” but I use a lot of Mac services and integrations so the core value proposition is not there based on my needs and workflow.

Regarding DTTG, like you I never use DTTG on the iPhone–only on the iPad. But, the point about waiting for DTTG to sync is one of the drawbacks of importing verses indexing. If I have research files indexed I don’t have to wait on DTTG to sync if it has been a while since I accessed them on my mobile device–I can access the files immediately from any suitable application.

Is there a way to store EN data on an external drive in the new Mac app? It downloads everything on my precious SSD and I’m out of space very soon :frowning:

I found this method that worked for the legacy version but not sure if it applies to the current ones.

Am I correct that if you import to DT, you are limited to the space on your hard drive?

I would presume that is true because everything that you’re importing into DEVONthink increases the size of an existing database or databases.

This Q&A thinks you can. Using Database From External Hard Drive - DEVONthink - DEVONtechnologies Community

Evernote just rolled out its latest feature: backlinks! It’s no Obsidian competitor but this is a great addition. As far as I know, beyond calendar integrations and some light task management features, this is the first core note taking feature added in years!

This feature must have been in the oven for years since almost every other note taking platform already has this but they needed to wait until the client apps were solid enough after the dreaded 10 release. I bet the marketing teams will start positioning Evernote as a bona fide PKM tool to try and match the Obsidians, Notions and Devons of the world.

Perhaps too late, as they have already been bought and the new owners are not disclosing what they intend to do, but this means that Evernote still has life on it.

I am no longer using it but still have a soft spot for Evernote, so I’m rooting for them!

5 Likes

One thing to note is that the backlinks are not part of the ENEX export, so you won’t be able to import them into another app or into Evernote itself. Maybe they will change this later on?

2 Likes

Evernote has always had a way to copy a link to a note, but it involved finding the target note, right clicking and choosing the option to copy the note link, and then whether to choose the web app link or the desktop app link. Then you’d have to go back to the note that you were working in to add the link in the text field.

It was a bit of a cumbersome process, and seeing other apps like Obsidian come along with really elegant ways of adding a back link made Evernote feel old. I’d like to see this feature become something like Obsidian’s invocation (typing double brackets) so my hands wouldn’t have to leave the home row while I am working.

Overall though this encourages me that Evernote is listening to customers and really trying to modernize their experience. I’ve been a daily user for nearly 13 years, so I hope they stick around a while longer.

Out of curiosity, I just tried an .enex export and yes, you are totally right. Links between notes use Evernote UUIDs which are not reflected on the export so the importing tool has no mechanism to link the notes. I think this would be easier to implement on the .enex export feature, but who knows.

And after that you would have to perform the same thing in order to have the backlink somewhere in the target note.

1 Like

Same here! Starting with quick wins like better backlink UX is a smart strategy.

1 Like

@cornchip @pantulis So, is Evernote these days primarily an everything bucket for capture and storage of documents, images, and other files? Or has it expanded to be a good task manager and/or note taker, too?