Help: Low Microphone Volume

Does anyone know whether it’s possible to boost the gain on USB headset mics on the Mac? I’ve now purchased two headsets (Jabra Evolve 40 and Plantronics Blackwire 5220), and the volume on the mics is way too low, even with input volume set to max in System Preferences. In contrast, I have a Blue Yeti and a FIFINE (K670) which are both much louder.

My primary use for the mics is voice recognition, and the quiet volume on the headset mics really affects the accuracy.

I forgot to mention I’m on an M1 Mac Mini, if that makes any difference.

Rogue Amoeba’s SoundSource app has a volume boost that can be applied per app. But I haven’t brought any of my Rogue Amoeba apps over to my M1 MacBook Air (yet) because of the security hoops Apple would make me jump through. :unamused:

Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t think SoundSource can boost input volume, can it? I installed the demo but didn’t want to jump through the security hoops either.

I did discover that the Mac Mini’s 3.5mm audio port works for input as well as output, and hooking the headset to the mini that way boosted the volume to an acceptable level, so problem solved.

1 Like