Help me choose? Google Drive or OneDrive?

One drive sucks, unless its deeply integrated with Outlook and you and your colleagues are devoted to using it.

1 Like

I agree with your other points, but I’m very much the opposite here. By and large, Microsoft is a company that takes customers’ money and provides them software, hardware, or services in return. Google is a company that makes money by extracting value from users’ data and attention. When it comes to my data Microsoft’s interests are much better aligned with my interests than Google’s are.

5 Likes

I’ve always been happier with Google Drive at work, both from the web and when using installed applications. We’ve faced this same choice between the two “free” products.

The reasons range from the clients and apps feeling more stable, to sync happening more quickly, to fewer issues reported from users with large amounts of files to sync and store.

We don’t need many of the specialized features of Word–if we did, we might have chosen OneDrive to collaboratively edit those documents.

What nonsense, a comment worthy of some lesser forums.

Maybe his response didn’t provide much detail or context, but I happen to agree with him…strongly!

I have tried OneDrive many times and still have my O365 subscription. Some of the issues I found unacceptable were:

• characters that are forbidden in file names. Had thousands of files I would have had to rename.

• 5000 file limit per folder. Didn’t reach this limit much, but there were several cases where I was forced to do a work-around

• Very high memory usage

• Fan went crazy for hours while doing initial and subsequent syncs.

Bottom line: it reminded me of why I left the Windows environment. While Microsoft has it’s strengths, “it just works” is not one of them

4 Likes

You are not getting the calls from many users who are utterly confused by OneDrive and want it removed from their Mac’s…

I hear you, but keep in mind that Google doesn’t monetize your email / drive content etc when you pay them for the G-Suite services starting at $6 for their basic plan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been caught in the Microsoft Embrace, Expand, Extinguish in how they deal with anything new and useful. Google does have paid for optionsthat prevent the collection of data and you can adjust what gets tracked even at the free tiers. At least Google does lip servide to original “Don’t be evil.” code of conduct that is now “Do the right thing.” They are FAR from perfect but seem to at least try to be a better company.

3 Likes

Your profile picture reflects your attitude around this forum. :sweat_smile:

Regardless, I don’t see the issue with his reply.

How is the experience for OneDrive on iphones and ipads?

Microsoft is really quite a different company today than they were in the “embrace, extend, extinguish” era. I’d go as far to say that their transformation is one of the most surprising things to have happened in the tech industry during the past decade or so.

6 Likes

I think Satya Nadella deserves much credit for that! That said, the experience with Office on Mac has been increasingly satisfying in last few years.

As per the OP question: I use both OneDrive and sharepoint with no significative downsides for my Personal, Law Firm and University.

Except for Microsoft Teams, my experience is very smooth on pretty much all of MS products I use. Also the real-time collaboration on Word, Excel and PowerPoint alongside the auto save feature are really nice.

4 Likes

Could be true, we’ve been out of the tech company world for long enough for things to have changed significantly

I would go so far as to call it “out of character”. Getting rid of Steve Ballmer (and, as @ldebritto pointed out, installing Satya Nadella as CEO) is undoubtedly responsible for these changes, but it shows how quickly a corporate approach can change - in other words, a succeeding CEO could easily upend the current, apparently benevolent, Microsoft attitude.

For sure.

I’m more consistent: I distrust ‘em all.

1 Like

I’ve no problems with it. It works with Files and I can use it as a save location there, so it’s accessible from any app that can access Files.

1 Like

Works fine for me - can keep files offline if needed and integrates fine with files.

Yes, another CEO could change the character of Microsoft but I think a return to the “dark side” is very unlikely. United States vs Microsoft (2001) forced MSFT to change long before Nadella became CEO; and in today’s political climate a return to their old ways would likely result in a breakup of the company.

Almost 35% of Microsoft’s business is cloud and is their fastest growing segment. Windows, while still important is slowly fading into the background. Their competition is likely much stronger than any they have ever faced.

Finally, I believe Satya Nadella, who became CEO in 2014, has fundamentally changed Microsoft for the better and has the record to prove it.

Microsoft stock price:

1 Like

It was Steve Jobs’ death that got MS’ stock price unstuck. I know because I gave up and sold mine two hours before the announcement. :frowning:

Of course, there were many contributors, but the story needed a catalyst. Satya was another one, of course.

Do you trust Apple?

Quite good if you ask me!

Still no Microsoft Access or Microsoft Publisher though. :slightly_frowning_face:

It is worth mentioning though that Satya Nadella essentially killed off any mobile efforts by Microsoft at the time (Windows Phone).