Help me choose? Google Drive or OneDrive?

I really have no issues and that’s where I use OneDrive the most. I put every file there. I find the offline storage/caching to be really good!

1 Like

Windows still runs on ~80% of computers. Linux is dead in the water (for Desktops), the only real competition is macOS. This is computers overall, for corporate usage, Windows’ share is bigger.

2001 was supposed to be the “year of the Linux desktop”, then 2002, 2004,…2009,…2013,…2017…2020…now 2021?

When I said Windows was fading, I meant fading in importance to Microsoft. In their Q1 FY 2021 results:

Productivity and Business Processes (Office, LinkedIn, etc) generated $12.3 billion in revenue, about 33% of their total. A year over year increase of 11.2%

Intelligent Cloud (Azure, Windows Server, etc) generated $13.0 billion, around 35% of total revenue and a YOY increase of 19.7%.

Personal Computing (Windows, Gaming, etc) generated $11.8 billion in revenue, about 32% of total revenue. But only grew 6.4%.

Windows sales saw a spike last year as people upgraded from Windows 7. And Covid19 has been great for PC sales due to WFH and remote learning.

But the trend has been flat for years and depending on Microsoft’s success with Virtual Desktop the idea of a PC on every desk may changing. Instead of buying copies of Microsoft Windows to install on local hardware, the future might be streaming it from the net. It appears Microsoft might be hoping that it is.

2 Likes

It is worth noting that there are two versions of OneDrive: the regular/personal version and the business version. They are different but share the same name.

The business OneDrive, part of Microsoft 365, is built on SharePoint. We are about to switch our organization from traditional Windows file shares to a combination of SharePoint and OneDrive. I have been testing OneDrive for a few months on my Mac and I have seen no issues thus far. But to be safe, we are implementing a robust cloud-to-cloud backup strategy to back up everyone’s OneDrive and their team SharePoints.

The personal OneDrive is part of Office 365 (personal plans), and I don’t know much about that. I think the apps are even different and they use a different underlying technology than the business version.

Windows is a cash-cow. It generates easy revenue, bus has no growth potential. So, obviously, the possibilities for expansion are elsewhere. Interestingly the found it in the gaming market while completely missing the mobile market.

I’m pretty sure the same app will sync both.

Compared to Google Drive, does OneDrive have a higher file size upload limit?

“Individual users can only upload 750 GB each day between My Drive and all shared drives. Users who reach the 750-GB limit or upload a file larger than 750 GB cannot upload additional files that day. Uploads that are in progress will complete. The maximum individual file size that you can upload or synchronize is 5 TB.“

I haven’t been able to confirm this for non-business accounts

Lot of great discussion

@tjluoma have you made a decision?

Google Drive.

OneDrive seems to have some fans, but several people mentioned horror stories when using it.

Google Drive isn’t perfect, of course, but it has plenty of fans and hopefully enough users that Google won’t suddenly decide to cancel it.

1 Like

We use a locked down version of OneDrive at the college I work for, meaning you can only share documents internally. Most of the time it works fine, with the occasional sync conflict or a share document won’t open. If I need to share with students or community partners I have to go to my Dropbox. I think I generally trust Dropbox more to not have conflicts and to sync without issues.

There is no reason for Google to cancel Google Drive when it is used by millions of people around the globe. The same goes for Microsoft.

1 Like

Actually, why not try out Amazon Drive?

While I agree that Google is unlikely to kill Google Drive, having millions of users has never stopped Google from canceling a service.

3 Likes

A lot of those services were replaced or they were very niche.

I recommend GD because of price, better mobile app, and safety.