Help Request - Automation software causing keyboard lag?

Has anyone experienced automation software causing keyboard lag? Across multiple apps (Pages, Safari, Mail, Notes, Numbers, BBEdit) I’m experiencing keyboard lag and characters getting out of order. Its frequent and intermittent.

I’m running Fall 2021 MBP, M1 Pro, 16", 16GB
Ventura 13.0.1
Shortcuts, Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander (all current versions)
Fantastical, GoodTask, Facebook Messenger, and Apple Messages are also running most of the time in the background.

Any chance you’re using a Bluetooth keyboard? I use Apple BT keyboards with MBPs at home and at work, and on both computers I occasionally run into serious lag that is only corrected by turning the keyboard off for a second. The first few times it happened, I pulled out my hair trying to guess what could be bogging down my whole system like that, only to discover it was just something weird in the Bluetooth connection.

1 Like

This is happening on the built in laptop keyboard.

But don’t get me started on the issues with my Logitech MXKeys advanced!

I’ve had keyboard lag problems like this in the past, but it hasn’t been because of Keyboard Maestro or TextExpander. For me, it’s been hardware.

The easy way to exclude your automation software is to do elimination trials. If it were me, I’d turn off TextExpander first, but that’s because I rely on Keyboard Maestro more! I think those are the top two contenders because they’re constantly monitoring keystrokes across apps.

(And given my past experience, I’d create a new account and see if the problem occurs there, too. If so, then it’s more likely to be a hardware problem.)

1 Like

I run a number of applications in the background, including Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, Better Touch Tool, Typinator, Alfred, Shortery, Karabiner Elements, Popclip, Default Folder X, and more. On a Mac Studio and a 2018 Mac mini. And of course there are apps running in the foreground (Mail, Music, Safari, and more).

I use a Keychron K8 Pro keyboard, connected via USB to the Studio. I access the Mini with Jump Desktop.

The Studio is on Monterey, the Mini on Ventura.

I have seen no lag on either.

1 Like