Help with Automating FTP Upload

I’m looking for some ideas to automate a workflow where I download a file from the web and upload it to a FTP server with my iPad Pro.

Currently I’m using FireFox to download and save the file, going over to the Files app and copying it the Documents folder in the Documents by Readdle app, which I can then move to a synced folder I have setup in the app on my FTP server.

I’ve been trying to find a good FTP app with possible shortcuts integration, but with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is why I haven’t yet considered iPad as a serious contender to the Mac. I do a lot of this and if I could shoot files off via FTP on an iPad I would certainly invest in iPad Pro.

It’s rather unfortunate that the best app for this, Transmit from Panic, is no longer available on iOS. It was extremely scriptable and I still use it frequently. I would love to find a replacement that is as flexible.

The first thing I thought about was Pythonista. I don’t know anything about it, but it’s a Python pogamming environment for iPad, so should do the job.

I unfortunately didn’t purchase Transmit before they pulled it, in hindsight I wish I had. Finding a viable alternative is more difficult than I thought it would be.

Coda, also by Panic, has some of the same FTP capabilities that Transmit did. I don’t know if those capabilities are as scriptable though.

In his Must-Have iOS Apps, 2018 Edition, Federico lists FileBrowser for Business as his favorite FTP client. He says it’s has good support for Siri Shortcuts.

I saw that. I’m going to check it out and I’ll report back.

Nice find. I think that’s the only $11 app I’ve seen, too (not complaining - if it works well, it’s worth more.)

I’m assuming that your FTP server / remote computer is not a Mac (if it is, I have another way of doing this that I’ve implemented using Shortcuts, a text file, and Hazel).

If you have SSH access on the server, you could create a shortcut to send the clipboard to an SSH command on the server that runs wget and the contents of the clipboard.