Here Goes: 1 Month iPad Only Experiment with New M4 iPad Pro

I just made a purchase. I bought a silver 13” iPad Pro M4, the new white Magic Keyboard, and the Apple Pencil Pro. I opted for the standard screen and 512GB storage.

I’ve decided to experiment. Starting today, I will exclusively use the iPad for my work for one month to assess if I can efficiently and effectively perform my tasks using only one device. I will record daily notes about what works, what doesn’t, and any workarounds I develop. I’ll share my findings with this forum in a month.

ADDENDUM:
I realized that some be wonder “Why” I would even want to do this. I’m glad you asked. :slightly_smiling_face: In no particular order:

• One device to manage
  • Less hardware to purchase, maintain, and sync
  • One OS to master
  • Mastery of each app on one platform
  • Lower TCO over time
  • Flexible, “modular” computing: laptop and tablet “modes”
  • Lighter and more portable
  • Fewer bags, cables, chargers
  • Cellular
  • Less exposure to malware and viruses
  • Awesome screen
  • Outstanding pencil, I love the new “squeeze feature” which brings up the pencil tools,” the tool dock is gone, leaving more room
  • I can use an external monitor when needed
  • Easier backup?, see below
  • Less intrusive in meetings
  • Other?

To provide context for this experiment, here’s a list of how I use an iPad or MBP, in no particular order:

• Short and long-form writing, including a book project
  • Brainstorming and outlining articles and presentations
  • Creating speaking notes and slides
  • Report writing from the research, reports for the board, accreditation reports, etc.
  • Writing blog posts
  • Managing email
  • Taking meeting notes
  • Managing projects and tasks
  • Calendar management
  • Participating in Zoom and MS Team meetings
  • Collecting, reading, and annotating articles for research
  • Managing references
  • Reading books using the Kindle app
  • Researching and reading the Bible
  • Keeping up with the news
  • Conducting internet searches and using this forum
  • Utilizing AI
  • Editing and managing photos
  • Reviewing budgets via spreadsheets
  • Managing files

As you can see, my computing needs are relatively simple. I believe I should be able to perform all these tasks with the iPad efficiently. In theory, it would be great to handle all of my computer-related tasks on one device. We shall see. This experiment may flop spectacularly, but it is worth a four-week trial.

ADDENDUM 2
@Denny wisely suggested I provide a bit more information. Here are his suggested questions and my responses:

1. Were you using an iPad just previous to this one?**
    * Yes
  2. If so, what were the specs?
    * 2021 12.9 iPad
  3. If so, do you expect the outcome to be any different from the upgraded hardware?
    * The speed, screen, Pencil Pro, and Magic Keyboard are all better. I anticipate the new iPad to be ready for any AI features Apple announces.
  4. How much were you using it, how familiar are you with iPadOS?
    * I used the iPad for ~60% of my work previously. I’m very familiar with iPad OS but I’m learning new tricks.
  5. Will you be using Stage Manager, were you before?
    * I prefer split screen and slide over on the iPad
  6. Will you be using an external screen?
    * Only when I have large spreadsheets to deal with.
  7. What Mac were you using? Screen specs?
    * I have a MBP 14” M1 Max.
28 Likes

I look forward to your reviews and thoughts. I like the concept of the iPad - I have a pre Apple silicon iPad Pro which is still going great guns, but always fails in productivity terms when I try to do the full gamut of daily work.

3 Likes

A few questions that might help frame up your experiment (if relevant)

• Were you using an iPad just previous to this one?
  • If so, what were the specs?
  • If so do you expect the outcome to be any different with the upgraded hardware?
  • How much were you using it, how familiar are you with iPadOS?
  • Will you be using Stage Manager, were you before?
  • Will you be using an external screen?
  • What Mac were you using? Screen specs?

It might be helpful to include that in your post for comparison. The M series iPads have more memory and are significant improvement in multitasking. For everyday work I think that change is far more significant than the speed of the processor. And for some use cases the option of a second, larger screen might prove to be significant.

I think the smaller screen size is an unspoken constraint of the iPad. People using 14"+ screens on Macs try switching to a 13 or 11" iPad and feel less productive. Certainly that’s partly due to the switch from macOS to iPadOS but I rarely see people discuss the smaller screen as an issue though I suspect it must be a variable.

If you’re not already aware there is an option in screen/display settings on the M series iPads to change the resolution giving you more space, you might want to check that setting.

2 Likes

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Probably weekly if daily is too much.

1 Like

Following you closely on this. I have the same iPad setup as yours (including iPad and Magic Keyboard colors) with the exception that I opted for the 1 TB model. I’m doing the same experiment.

Here’s some resources I found helpful:

5 Likes

Thanks for this! We’ll have to compare notes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Most of the cases I believe people can live with only iPad, especially if they don’t mind changing the ways of doing something as usual.

However, there is one thing you still have to use your desktop or laptop: export your notes from Apple Notes, Bear, Evernote.

Bear can fully export everything on the iPad in multiple formats (in fact I’ve moved everything from Bear and into Craft using only an iPad as I had no Mac at the time).

1 Like

It shall be interesting.

From my perspective, the fundamental questions for the end of the month is “What kind of outputs did you do better/more of than you would have otherwise?” and “What kind of outputs did you do worse/less of than you would have otherwise?”

Everything else is largely in service of those two questions, I think.

5 Likes

If you export markdown or plain text, Bear can’t export all the images on iPad, but they can on Mac.

+1

:+1:t3:

Said the scholar, after 20 perfectly enumerated bullet points.

Just kidding! While it’s clear you do not seem to be designing spaceship rockets, the challenges you will face are not simple in terms of workflow, in my opinion. I am personally rooting for you to be successful in this endeavor!

2 Likes

Congratulations on the purchase and looking forward to the series!

1 Like

Don’t forget, for those of you who want to try this yourself, the first step is to hire yourself an executive assistant and share your entire work life with him or her. :smirk:

5 Likes

That’s nice, thank you! :pray:t2: Why do I feel like Tim Cook when I use that emoji? :slightly_smiling_face:

For what it is worth, I added a photo of my setup to my original post.

Good questions but I don’t believe the “output” will be the issue. As you can see from my list of computer related work, it is generic stuff. I believe the bigger issue will be the input, “How does this change affect my workflow and productivity? Is there anything I need to do that I cannot do on the iPad?”

That’s what Text Bundle format is for (you get Markdown + images compressed in a single file).

1 Like

I’ve always considered the willingness to try, an important first step. When my company started moving to Macs I had one user, way above my pay grade :grinning:, unwilling to give up her Windows PC.

To convince her I came in one weekend and replaced her PC with a new iMac. It was set up exactly like her Windows machine, right down to the wallpaper and files on the desktop. And I threw in a new mechanical keyboard.

Two weeks later I felt comfortable reassigning her old PC.

2 Likes

I have a good one and believe it or, she is a former computer programmer, go figure! :joy: