Holiday Gaming [mac power user style]

If you have an M1/M2 Mac, you no longer need to wait for some developer to make a cool game to enjoy during your downtime. Andrew Tsai does a nice rundown of how to play your Switch games on your Mac with Ryujinx.

It works beautifully. Here is my m2 air [midnight and all fingerprinty] with my current crush.

5 Likes

me looking for mac power users who play games…

2 Likes

I’ve not really bothered with emulators in the past, as I’ve generally been a PC gaming only guy. I do have a gaming laptop that I mainly use for gaming, so the Mac doesn’t really come in to it, with the exception that I used to have a 27” iMac with Bootcamp on for games.

I have toyed with selling the laptop though to get myself a Steam Deck, but as I’m currently playing through FarCry 6, I don’t think that would be a good switch at the minute. I’ve never been a “power gamer” and therefore I think the Steam Deck would suit me.

I do PC games on my iMac 2020 with bootcamp. I canceled my Steam Deck order when I realized all I would be doing is emulation of retrogames on it. I picked up an Anbernic device instead. My favorite pc games really need a mouse and keyboard to feel right. For me, the sweet spot of M1/M2 portable gaming is Ryujinx and Aethersx2 (native apple silicon ps2 emulator).

I’m on the lookout for a dosbox type solution. My dream is perfect emulation without headaches.

For me, Boxer was near perfect and could also run Microsoft Word 5.5 and WordPerfect 4.2 (I used it on a different computer with Snow Leopard).

So painless

Boxer’s game shelf design was great (picture from that Are Technica article).

There’s a forked version that supports 64 bit but I have not tried it yet (I use Catalina on an intel Mac).

It looks like there’s a beta release with Mac Silicon support.

iDos looked promising on iOS until it was removed from the App Store.
https://litchie.com/dospad

I wasn’t aware of Anbernic . . .

I have used my Mac for playing retro games (DOS, C64) and some more graphics intensive games, but have not found the mac performance the best.

I’ve since bought a Steam Deck and am very happy with it. I can play my entire steam library, use the emulator (EmuDeck) and use it as a full Desktop when I’m out and about. Absolutely love it, and since I’m also pivoting our older Family laptops to Linux to save on e-waste I’m happy to be using this awesome Linux device to game. (older macs run Linux very very well)

Dosbox for native apple silicon here:

1 Like

and just to round out the M1/2 retrogaming, here is RetroArch for apple silicon.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/category/apple-silicon/

I agree, performance on Apple Silicon are amazing. Honestly it’s more fun to play on my M1 Air with an Xbox controller than on the Switch itself :wink:

Switch owners complaining that games run better on emulators than the Switch is a bad reflection on nintendo. Why are they still putting a 5 year old chip in their “upgraded” OLED Switch?

1 Like

talking about gaming on Mac, anyone here playing Windows games via Steam on Parallel, Wine, Crossover, PlayonMac, etc?

On my M1/M2, I have used crossover and parallels and was never really happy with either of them for beefy gaming. I do use parallels for Red Alert 2 (Command & Conquer) and play online with buddies and it works great. I also use parallels for Campaign Cartographer 3+ (map building for games). But my gaming joy on the M2 is the PS2 and Switch emulators. The fun of those two more than sates my mobile gaming thirst. I still boot camp on my iMac so AAA games are available for me but I find myself just placing my M2 on the desk and grabbing the xbox controller for most of my gaming now. I also tote an Anbernic RG350V for convenience.

I forgot to mention it earlier but a great Mac app for retrogaming is OpenEmu.

1 Like

The best any sources could come up with seems to be that Nintendo wanted to do an upgrade alongside the OLED model, but supply chain issues nixed it. There were a number of developers who were contacted about it, so seems fairly reliable. Who knows what their plans are now though.

I have been reading about how the great experience of running Nintendo Switch games on Apple Silicon Macs. I am in the process of getting Ryujinx to work. Done the first step of installing the app. Have to figure out whether I need to jailbreak my Switch to get the games ROM onto Rynjinx folder

I’m not a gamer, but I just finished reading Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, which was great, and it got me wanting to play a game so I’ve been playing The (new) Oregon Trail on Apple Arcade. Right now I’m at Fort Boise with one player, one ox, and no money.

1 Like