How do I get the iPad to show the list of home movies that are currently open on the Mac TV app and play them on the iPad?

Hi all,

I added some home movies to Mac Monterey TV app (currently open )- they play fine on Mac…

I Opened the TV app on iPad > Library > Home Sharing…

It shows my Mac but When I choose the Mac it just says “Mac hasn’t purchased any TV shows or movies”. This is true for this computer but…

Q: how do I get the iPad to show the list of HOME movies that are currently open on the Mac TV app and play them on the iPad?

I found this link but it did not help… any suggestions?

That link covers it but the feature is pretty terrible and always has been. I stopped using it a long time ago. The AppleTV reads a local Home sharing library pretty well but iPads and iPhones not so much. As a test just now I opened TV app on my iPad and there at the bottom under Library is Home Sharing. But it takes forever to load anything at all. Then it starts to load and doesn’t show thumbnails. Then it quits. I reopen and still not showing anything other than “loading”. I’ve long felt that they’ve intentionally crippled this feature to push people to purchase content instead.

Even on the AppleTV the purchased content plays better because local media streamed from my Mac often has issues.

Honestly, your best bet is to just use the Files app and browse to the folder, maybe save it in the sidebar for quick access. It took me less than 20 seconds just now to access my media hard drive, find the folder and start playing. If I had it saved in the sidebar as a favorite would have just taken a couple seconds for the hard drive to wake up and start spinning. Once it’s streaming it’s perfect. Of course can also airplay it to the AppleTV from the iPad or an iPhone if you want to see it on a bigger screen.

You could try something like Plex. Been awhile since I used it but had it set up several years ago and it worked pretty well.

2 Likes