How do you carry your tech?

Being an iPhone photographer my day-to-day tools include:

If I go on a overnight(s) photo field trip I additionally bring

If I’m actually travelling for work , I have a Tom Bihn super light briefcase bag daylight for my iPad and MacBook air 13.
When I’m house sitting,since I work from home, I’ve taken to bringing my imac in a standard large rubber maid tub. It fits easily diagonally, keyboard and associated junk can go in. I throw a towel or fleece over the screen just in case, and it rides on the back seat or floor of the truck very well!
It’s not a long trip or frequently enough to justify an imac case, at least not yet.

When I need my laptop, or if I’m going on a longer trip, I’ll carry my gear in a Tom Bihn Smart Alec. If I’m just carrying my iPad Pro (which is most days) I run a Tom Bihn Ristretto shoulder bag.

2 Likes

I have a Waterfield Bolt Backpack and a Waterfield Bolt Crossbody Laptop bag. In the larger Bolt, I usually carry two laptops, a MacBook Pro 15" (personal) and Dell 15" (GFE required for work), and a 9.7" iPad Pro, along with Kindle, notebooks, power bricks, and a Waterfield gear bag with connectors, chargers, etc… If I only need one laptop I use the smaller Crossbody bag. These bags are super comfortable to carry, super roomy, and have lots of side pockets. I’m a big fan of everything Waterfield makes – made by hand in San Francisco, sharp looking, and indestructible.

If I’m traveling by car, which I do frequently for long distances, or working in a comfortable chair somewhere, I use a Sofia + Sam Multi-Tasking memory foam lap desk, which has a wrist pad, and is just the right size for long sessions on the keyboard.

Day to day I have my MacBook Pro, 10.5 iPad Pro, Baron Fig notebook and headphones in a backpack from eBags

Sometimes I just have the iPad “loose”, occasionally my wife will graciously carry it in her purse. Colder weather I have a SCOTTeVEST jacket/coat.

There is nothing that matches timbuk2…nothing! I have three different ones in various configurations. They are almost unbreakable and can attest to that from years of traveling for work. No ripped stitches or fabric. Really outstanding!

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-messenger-bags/products/1108-classic-messenger-bag?variant=13341538484266

2 Likes

I carry a MacBook adorable and iPad Pro 9.7” in this ogio backpack OGIO Newt 15 Day Pack, Medium, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZW34O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RV6nBb3YS2508

I’m also a Timbuktu guy. I cycle everywhere, and this bag is just perfect as far as I’m concerned. Laptop, IPad Pro, and DSLR no problem, with some good sections for other gear. And totally waterproof.
https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-backpacks/products/437-especial-tres-cycling-backpack

2 Likes

For work, I put my iPad Pro in a messenger bag that I picked up in Florida at a boutique a few years ago. For travel I use a Swiss back pack. I like compartments and can hold my Mac Book Pro. It also has nice space to pack for a quick over night. Then I have a camel pack that I bought at Eastern Mountain Sports for sports-type outings. It holds my iPad Pro.

I work from a home office, so my everyday tech is just my iphone 7+ in my pants pocket. I like the 511 tactical pants. I have several pairs, both long pants and shorts, and I wear them just about every day that I’m home.

I go to a lot of conferences professionally, and I carry a 13 inch 2015 MacBook Air, a Lightning cable, the iPhone and that’s about it. I’m going to have my bag hanging off my shoulder while I’m on my feet for most of the time for 14 hours a day, so I need to conserve weight and to have a relatively comfortable and balanced load. I also have some non-tech stuff in the bag: water bottle, a couple of protein bars, napkins, wipes, notebooks and pens. Sometimes I also carry an iPad mini and a stylus.

The bag is a Timbuktu Command bag. I used to be one of those people bought several bags a year, but since I got the Timbuktu bag a couple years ago that stopped. It is as close to the perfect bag as I am ever going to find.

I bring some more tech with me on trips. Those stay in my hotel room. Anker power adapter with multiple USB ports, a couple more lightning and USB cables. Mini or micro USB, I always forget which is which. And Kindle paperwhite for when I’m off duty

3 Likes

Just ordered my Tom Bihn Synapse 25 a few days ago. Cannot wait for it to arrive, as I’ve only heard amazing things about it. I didn’t get a cache with it, but may dish out for one once I use it for a bit.

When I’m just walking to a meeting from my office I carry my 10.5 iPad Pro in this felt holder that I got from
[Byrd and Belle] (https://www.byrdandbelle.com/). My phone and pen fit perfectly in the front pockets.

ipp_grey_corner_WEBE_2048x2048

When I’m out on the weekend and want to carry my iPad Pro, I usually use my Tom Bihn cafe bag (medium). I have a pouch with cables and my AirPods that I put in the main compartment, too.
bihn-bag

And when I want to pack everything in, I use my Cargoworks EDC for my 13 inch MBP and I can also include my iPad Pro. I love this bag so much. Everything is a tight fit though, so I may like a bigger one at some point.
CargoWorks

Funny you ask… look what I’m trying out on a trip.

Waterfield Pro Backpack.

IMG_2754

3 Likes

I unfortunately need to carry quite a heavy bag on a daily basis, so the PeakDesign Everyday Backpack (big one, 30 l?) is perfect for me.

1 Like

You won’t regret your purchase. It’s the best bag I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

A Saddleback Leather briefcase. 100 year warranty.

imagehttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/17/87/93178784a245f93a57831c96aa4f47c0.jpg

3 Likes

Bellroy A4 for my ipad and accessories and notebook, Bellroy Laptop sleeve for Macbook Pro, Bellroy pouches for misc. gear, Hard Graft Offhand Shoulder Bag for when I’m carrying everything. Bellroy Duotote bag for when I’m on my bike or not carrying all my gear.

Peak Design: Everyday Backpack is my daily driver.

3 Likes

After years and years of searching and trying to find the perfect bag for me, I found the Empire Builder from Tom Bihn. Empire Builder Web page

empirebuilder

I wanted a bag to stand on its own, be able to carry more than one laptop, not have too many pockets, and have a quality build that is not going to break or wear down in a few years.

I take it with me everywhere, everyday. For the five years I’ve had it, not a single bit of wear is showing.

4 Likes

Ooo, I love questions like this.

I carry a 13" MBP, 9.7" iPad Pro (sometimes w/a smart keyboard), and paper notebook (usually a Leuchtturm1917, but rn a Baron Fig). I use two pen loops on the iPad to secure an Apple Pencil, and two more on the notebook to secure a Pilot Vanishing Point. I put one pen loop on the front cover and the other loop on the back cover to keep the notebook closed when the pen is in the loop.

Most of the year, I also have lightweight mittens, a lightweight hoodie, and a pair of ear bags stashed away. In the rainy season, I also carry spats.

I put a strong magnetic hook inside my bike locker and hang my TB Synapse 19L on it. The Synapse pretty much always has a pair of cheap earbuds, a fork and spoon, a small tin of salt, and a water bottle. I am, basically, always prepared to eat.

I transfer my tech from a medium-sized Sackville Saddlesack (pictured below), which always has a lock, some tools, a spare tube, and a couple John’s Irish Straps in it, into the Synapse once I get to school (and vice versa when I head home for the day).

On days when I only take my iPad and notebook, I use a TB Small Cafe Bag and put it directly in the Saddlesack.

2 Likes